Friday, February 19, 2016

Peeling Away Unnecessary Persons

It's only feathers, says Terence.

A memento of your peacock? asks Sweezus.

Yes, says Terence. Arthur helped me pull them out. And we found this red net bag in the rubbish.

It looks kind of heavy, says Sweezus. Let me feel it.

NO! says Terence.

Okay, okay, says Sweezus.

Now that you're back, Arthur, says Gaius, I suggest we get a move on. We're going back to Emu Bay with Dr Yu Liu to do a spot more digging.

I can't dig, says Arthur. My leg hurts.

Perhaps you could take notes, says Gaius. Do you still have the pencils?

I have plenty of pencils, says Dr Yu Liu. We don't need him. What about your colleague ?

Me? says Ssü-K'ung Shu. I'm a poet, as I already told you.

That's why you'll make a good companion, says Dr Yu Liu.

Arthur also is a poet, says Gaius.

But he can't dig, says Dr Yu Liu.

Ssu-K'ung Shu now realises that he will be digging.

And he's still not sure about the Chinese spy thing.

But it's too late to get out of the expedition now.

........

Gaius, Dr Yu Liu and Ssü-K'ung Shu have cycled off in a westerly direction, to Emu Bay.

That leaves us, says Sweezus. What'll we do?

Animals! says Terence.

What animals? asks Sweezus.

Rare animals, says Arthur. Terence found this brochure near the bin.

You can pet them! says Terence.

Where is it? asks Sweezus.

Stokes Bay, says Arthur. It's out past Emu Bay. They have Rare Animals at Paul's Place. And incidentally, good surfing out beyond the bay.

Now you're talking, says Sweezus. You up for it?

Yes, says Arthur.

I have a suggestion, says Vello. Let's all ride out there.

Yay! says Terence, jumping up and down until a beak emerges through the feathers in his amulet.

Oops! says Terence, pushing it back inside.

Lucky Sweezus didn't see it.

........

There's a new sign outside Rare Animals At Paul's Place.

TEMPORARILY CLOSED.

A few tourists stand looking at it, grumbling.

All this way, for nothing!

What's this? says Vello, getting off his bike. Oh, hello Irene!

Hello Jacques! says Irene. Where's Mr Suzuki?

He's in Emu Bay, says Vello. Pity about this place being closed. Terence will be disappointed.

No need to be, says Irene. Will's Rare Breeds Farm isn't far from here. They rescue and shelter rare domesticated farm animals. I'm heading over there.

Would you like to take Terence with you? says Sweezus.

Ha ha, says Irene. He doesn't know me.

Well yeah, but we know you, says Sweezus. You're a nice person. You gave us an onion. We could meet up later at the Bay. We'll be down there, surfing.

Hadn't we better ask Terence? says Irene. Terence, how would you like to come with me to Will's Rare Breeds Farm? I believe they have a miniature zebu there. I also have far too many cheese and beetroot sandwiches. We could share them.

Yes, please, says Terence. Beetroot is my favourite.

And so the lovely outing is arranged.

No comments: