Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Power Play

Can I keep the head? asks Terence.

I don't think so, says Sweezus.

But Terence wants to.

Who's the parrot, and who's the person? says Terence. I am.

The parrot and the person? says Sweezus.

The person, says Terence. You came back as the parrot. That means we do what I say.

No, Terence, says Sweezus. Let's be clear about this. I am a person.

You just don't remember, says Terence. Are you still a Hindu?

No, says Sweezus. I'm not a Hindu. I'm not a bird. As if, man....

I'll give you a test, says Terence. Who can play a trumpet, and before that, I couldn't?

Think hard, says Vello. The peacock knew the answer.

I knew the answer, says Sweezus. I heard him playing. It wasn't too bad.

It was good, says Terence. And now I know you've come back as my parrot.

The parrot's come back as me, you mean, says Sweezus.

YES! cries Terence.

Okay, says Sweezus. It's come back as me. This is cool. Know why, little bro?

Why? asks Terence.

With you and me, there was always this thing: You love birds, I can't stand 'em. Now we're bird-less.

Bird-less, says Terence.

The reality of the situation sinks in. He is stuck with a parrot that hates parrots and doesn't even look like a parrot and is bossy and won't let him DO ANYTHING.

He's definitely keeping that head.

No comments: