Thursday, February 11, 2016

Sixth Sense Detectives

The eel stew smells better, with the onion in it.

Shu throws in the wild bush tomatoes and yellow bush peas.

They float cheerfully on a layer of oil amongst the coiled eel lumps.

Arthur is squeezing blood from his wound, into a teaspoon.

Sweezus is googling great white sharks on his smartphone.

Vello is setting the table with bowls of Chilli Popcorn, Kettle Chips, and Barbecue Shapes, and taking the beer out of the bar fridge.

Irene is leaving.

Well, I'll be leaving, says Irene.

No one tries to stop her. She leaves.

Should have thanked her for the onion, says Vello.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Hey! Did you guys know great whites have blue eyes?

No, says Vello. But that may come in useful.

And get this, says Sweezus. They've got a sixth sense. They can detect ......stuff. And they have to keep moving so they can breathe.  And they don't make noise, they use body language. And they don't fight over food, they have a tail slapping contest. Best slapper wins. Fricken' awesome!

I've got a sixth sense, says Shu.

Evidence? says Vello, opening a can of Crown Lager.

There's a Chinese government spy on my trail, says Shu. I sense it.

Me too, says Arthur.

Shu looks offended.

I sometimes feel I have a sixth sense, says Vello. For example, you would like a Crown Lager.

Thanks, says Shu, opening the can and extracting a wild bush tomato from the bubbling eel stew with the ring pull. He squashes the wild bush tomato with his finger. Seeds spill out.

Yes, says Vello. I also sensed that the eel stew was ready.

You can see it is, says Shu.

I sensed it earlier, says Vello.

When it wasn't, in fact ready, says Shu.

It was, says Vello. The eel strips had curled up fleshy-side out and become yellow and rigid.

That is quite normal, says Shu.

We shall see, says Vello.

Can I stir it? asks Arthur.

Of course, says Shu. Mind your fingers.

He watches as Arthur stirs the stew with a teaspoon.

The stew changes colour.

Sweezus is drinking his second Crown Lager. His ego is piqued. Sixth sense....have I got one? Should have. How'd I know?

Clear my mind. See if anything happens.

Ommmmm-nothing-nothing-nothing.....

(That's how you do it)

Into his mind floats a picture of Krishna as a baby, fingering a golden flute, and wearing a peacock feather crown....


No comments: