Sunday, February 14, 2016

Millions Of Gods

I'll drop you off at Central Backpackers, says Mayor Clements. It's where your colleague Gaius is staying.

Free of charge? enquires Vello.

Naturally, says Mayor Clements. And it's where you'll be staying as well.

All four of us? asks Vello.

Yes I suppose so, says Mayor Clements, gloomily totting up four extra lots of seventy five dollars over three nights in his head.

Too kind, says Vello. See you at the Town Hall on Friday evening.

If not before, says Mayor Clements to himself, as he drives away.

Gaius's head appears, framed in a cabin window.

Where is Arthur? Did he come back with you?

Yes, yes, we're all here, says Vello. Don't fuss. Arthur's just over there with Sweezus, getting his knee looked at.

Terence's head appears in the window, wearing a head band, sporting three peacock feathers.

Terence's head disappears.

Come in, says Gaius. I'll show you my notes and drawings from the Emu Bay Shale, showing faunal elements in common with other Burgess-Shale type assemblages including the Chengjiang Biota. And you must meet Dr Yu Liu, who is kindly assisting me to understand the techniques of immuno-histo-chemistry and confocal laser scanning microscopy, in which he is an expert.....

For goodness sake! explodes Vello. Do you think Shu and I are interested in such small talk? Is there any breakfast?

Of course! says Gaius. Come in. I have tea bags, hot water, and spiced dried peas. At least I think so. Let me...

As Shu and Vello step through the doorway, they bump into Terence, running towards them.

Terence! says Vello. How are you enjoying ...?

I'm running, says Terence. Don't stop me.

Terence runs outside. He runs straight up to Sweezus and Arthur.

Hello, says Sweezus. Nice headband.

Terence feels one of his feathers tipping sideways.

It keeps happening. Peacock feathers are long.

I've got a new parrot, says Terence. Want to see her?

Later, says Sweezus. How about you just tell me about her.

Okay, says Terence. She's a Hindu. And now I'm a Hindu.

I don't know that much about Hinduism, says Sweezus.

I do, says Arthur. They have millions of gods.

No we don't, says Terence. That's called Smartism. We have the Brahmin.

Cool, says Sweezus. What's he like?

Beyond all descriptions, says Terence.

That's mental, says Sweezus.

Ask my parrot, says Terence. She has a no-thinking collar.

A choker? asks Arthur.

A tracker, says Terence. So everyone knows where we are.

Hang on, says Sweezus. If she's wearing a tracker, she can't be doomed.

What's doomed? says Terence. Why can't she be doomed?

Like, they must want to know where she goes, says Sweezus, so they wouldn't be likely to stop her from going wherever......

..... by killing her, says Arthur. Is it still beeping?

Beeping? wails Terence. I don't knoooooooow!

Flashing? asks Sweezus.

It's not helping.

Terence has run back inside.


No comments: