Monday, February 22, 2016

Straight To Heaven

Terence catches up to the rest of the party.

Will is showing the visitors his collection of Blackhead Persian sheep.

They have white hairy bodies, black heads and fat bottoms.

Look Terence, says Irene. These sheep have fat bottoms. Can you think of a reason?

Terence can't.

Anyway, it's disgusting.

Come here, says Irene. Yes, I thought so. We're going to have to get rid of those feathers. They smell.

We could wash them, says Terence.

Has your child had an accident? asks Will.

We just need some water, says Irene. I'm awfully sorry.

No worries, says Will. There's a tap over there.

Irene takes Terence to the tap. She pulls feather after feather from the red net plastic amulet.

The squeezed peacock head is unmasked.

This must go, says Irene. What is it?

It was my parrot, says Terence. Arthur killed it.

When something dies, says Irene, its spirit goes straight to heaven. You don't need to keep it.

Grandpa says that's rubbish, says Terence.

Oh, says Irene. Well I shan't try to compete with your grandpa. I suppose you mean Jacques?

No! says Terence. Double no!

Double no? says Irene. Why do you say that?

Can you think of a reason? asks Terence.

Oh I see, says Irene. Tit for tat. All right. I'll tell you why the Blackhead Persians have fat bottoms.

Why? says Terence.

To help them survive in the African desert, says Irene.

Then why are they here? asks Terence.

Too many questions, says Irene.

I'm a ruminant, says Terence.

Okay, says Irene. I believe you. Now tell me who Jacques really is.

Click! Whirr! She presses a switch in her pocket.


No comments: