Monday, February 8, 2016

The Special No-Thinking Collar

Hello parrot, says Terence.

"I'm a PEA-cock". The peacock looks pained

I knew that, says Terence, but I need a new parrot. My last one got kidnapped.

Oh, who'd be a bird? sighs the peacock. You know I'm supposed to be feral?

Does feral mean scared? asks Terence.

The peacock points to its radio collar.

Have you escaped? asks Terence.

I don't think so, says the peacock.

Like me, says Terence. I escaped, and I don't think so.

What does that mean? asks the peacock.

See those people, looking into that hole, says Terence. They won't let me do anything. So I escaped to this grass over here. And I'm being sad here. And that's because something.

Because what? asks the peacock. (This strange infant is becoming intriguing).

Because, says Terence. Because when you go somewhere else, your thinking comes with you.

Mine doesn't, says the peacock. I'm Hindu. But I know what you mean. It's like this collar.

Your collar is like thinking? says Terence.

No, it comes with you, says the peacock.

Louisa comes over.

Peacock! shouts Louisa.

Warrrk-warrk! says the peacock.

But Dr Yu Liu, Dr Diego Garcia-Bellini and Gaius are deep in discussion about the importance of microtomography in examining the characteristics of soft tissue fossils in situ, and don't hear her.

Stop shouting! says Terence. You'll scare her.

Scare her! says Louisa. She's feral. We're supposed to kill her. She sits on people's roofs, makes a lot of noise, fouls the water, spreads weeds and carries poultry diseases.

Who doesn't? says the peacock.

She's Hindu, says Terence. And she has a special no-thinking collar. And she's MY NEW PARROT!

The peacock does not look overly grateful.

........

Meanwhile on the other side of the island, somewhat later.

It's time for the Nocturnal Tour.

Guests gather at the Visitor Centre at sunset.

Everyone ready? says Ella. Got camera, water, binoculars? Right, follow me to the Koala Walk.

How long does this go? asks Vello.

Ninety minutes, says a fellow nocturnal walker. And koalas are guaranteed, you'll be glad to know. The staff here are wonderful. They put signs on the trees to show which ones have koalas in them.

Do they really? says Vello.

Yes, This is my second time, says the walker. We saw echidnas the last time, and bats, and wallabies and possums. My name's Irene. Are you French?

Yes indeed, madam, says Vello. I am Jacques Cousteau. This is my fellow famous ecologist Su-Zu-Ki. He looks Chinese, but the fading light is deceptive. He is Japanese-Canadian.

Ssü-K'ung Shu tries to look more Japanese-Canadian.

My stars! says Irene. How marvellous. I must tell the others.

But the others don't care. A kangaroo has joined the party.

This is Amy, says Ella. She was rescued and released into the wild a few years ago.

Aww, say the others. A-meee! She's so tame! How amazing!

Ssü-K'ung Shu has no interest in kangaroos and koalas and what-not.

Not everyone has.

He begins searching the Koala Walk for herbs to add to the eel stew he has promised to make later with Arthur's dried eels and hot water.

It has just occurred to him that it might taste too bland.

No comments: