Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Benefits Of Extinction

The rain continues.

But everyone is dry under the big rock umbrella.

Captain Baudin eats one more segment of orange.

Alas, did you say? says Gaius. What happened in the Ravine des Casoars? Should we be vigilant?

Not at all, says Captain Baudin. I don't normally speak of it.

Come on, says Louisa. How bad can it be?

Bad, says Terence.

Bobber, says Baby-Glossy.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Bad, says the orange peel Ear. Or possibly, Bad Lobster.

I am not a bad lobster, says Captain Baudin. 

Wait! I remember, says Louisa. We learned all about it in school. You saw Kangaroo Island emus and thought they were cassowaries! So you called it Ravine des Casoars.

An understandable mistake, says Gaius. I myself have made many. My cure for toothache, for example. One simply has to live with it. Or blame one's sources.

I live with it daily, says Captain Baudin. At least the Kangaroo Island emu is now extinct.

That's not a good thing! says Louisa.

It is for me, says Captain Baudin. It's a dreary place, now.

Have some chocolate, says Louisa. That will cheer you up.

She looks for the chocolate.

But the chocolate is gone,

Arthur has been silent for some time now.

There may be a connection.

Never mind, says Captain Baudin. You have all been so kind.

I haven't, says Terence. 

It doesn't matter, says Captain Baudin. You have your hands full with that Baby Glossy. I think it could benefit from remedial speech therapy. 

The orange peel Ear understands it, says Gaius.

I disagree, says Captain Baudin. Particularly with the Ear's interpretation of Bobber. What that bird needs is someone to mimic.

That's why we're looking for substitute parents, says Louisa.

Mimic, says Baby-Glossy. Mimic-mimic. Mimic-mimic-mimic-mimic.

It waddles over to Captain Baudin, and tucks itself under his dominant claw.


No comments: