Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Rarely-mont

Alors! He seems to like me, says Captain Baudin. 

I'll ask him, says Terence. Do you like Captain Bo Dan?

Squoo, says Baby-Glossy.

Terence looks at the Ear.

What? says the Ear. Am I involved in this somehow?

Yes, says Terence. You know what he means.

You certainly seem to, says Gaius. 

All right, says the orange peel Ear. He likes the Captain.

Anyone can see that, says Louisa. Why don't we leave him with the Captain, overnight.

Squoo! says Baby-Glossy. Mimic-mimic.

He wants language lessons, says the Ear.

I can do that, says Captain Baudin. French or English?

French or English? asks the Ear.

Squish, says Baby-Glossy.

English, says the Ear.

It has fortuitously stopped raining.

A few raindrops drip from the rim of the rock umbrella.

The moon appears, between non-threatening clouds.

An owl hoots.

Drip... hoot 

Time to get moving, says Gaius. Are you sure it's all right to leave Baby-Glossy?

Certainment, says Captain Baudin.

Squer-mont, says Baby Glossy.

Certain-ly, I should have said,  says Captain Baudin. It will give me a task. And alleviate my loneliness.

Squertin, says Baby Glossy. Div me a squask.

Wow! says Louisa. He's already learning!

Shall we meet at the Ravine des Casoars tomorrow? asks Gaius.

I rarely go there, says Captain Baudin.

Rarely-mont, says Baby-Glossy.

Captain Baudin gives Baby Glossy a sharp pinch on the shoulder.

Non! Rare-lee! Rare-lee!

Rare-lee, squeaks Baby-Glossy.

Arthur and Louisa are on their bikes already.

You ate the last of the chocolate, says Louisa.

There was nothing else to do, says Arthur.

Drip... hoot

Gaius lifts Terence and the competition-winning orange peel Ear into his back pack.

We'll pass by here on our way back, says Gaius. See how the lessons are going. By then we may have located some substitute parents.

If I'm not here, says Captain Baudin, I'll leave you a note.

Or a map, says Gaius. With your location.

Oui, says Captain Baudin. 

Wee, says Baby-Glossy.

Wee, says Terence. That was good English.

No one points out that it wasn't.


No comments: