Wednesday, September 9, 2020

I'm Just A Tool

 Can I take a photo? asks Terence.

What of? asks Gaius.

My orange peel, says Terence.

Why do you want to? asks Gaius.

To send to Sweezus, says Terence. He asked me.

Wait till we get to Flinders Chase, says Gaius. I'll stop then. 

Can I practise? asks Terence. 

Just one photo, says Gaius. 

Terence reaches to the bottom of Gaius's back pack and pulls up a peel.

He drapes it over the flap of the back pack, where it dangles, half in and half out.

He presses the camera icon on Gaius's phone.

Now he can see what his photo will look like.

But where are the holes?

Has Alfonse got the peel with the holes in?

I know! thinks Terence. I'll make some new holes.

He reaches down to the lower depths of the back pack, and comes up with a pencil.

Air at last! says Ronnie. 

Are you any good at ears? asks Terence.

Ears, eyes, noses, says Ronnie. Even chins. What and where?

On the orange peel, says Terence. Hole ears.

Hole ears coming up, says Ronnie. 

Terence waits with the camera.

YOU'LL have to DO it, says Ronnie. I'm just a tool.

Camera, pencil, orange peel. It's all too much for Terence's small cement hands to handle.

Terence accidentally presses the button. Oops! Click! The camera jerks and the orange peel slithers onto the road.

STOP! cries Terence.

Gaius stops, but he seems to be irritated.

You can walk back and get it, says Gaius. And seeing we've stopped I may as well phone Arthur.

He tries, but Arthur is on a call to Sweezus.

Man! says Sweezus. Glad today's over.

What happened? asks Arthur.

Tight sprint finish, says Sweezus. 

Were you in it? asks Arthur.

Nah, says Sweezus. I was way back. Caleb Ewan smashed it. Bennett came second.

So Bennett kept the green, says Arthur.

Yeah and looks like Pete Sagan's done in his chances of getting it back, says Sweezus.

How come? says Arthur.

Docked points for dangerous sprinting, says Sweezus. Shoulder-barged Wout Van Aert near the finish. He's down to 85th position.

Tough, says Arthur.

Yeah, that's close to where I am, says Sweezus. 


No comments: