Sunday, September 13, 2020

Death Has Been Temporary

 At five to three, Gaius arrives at the Flinders Chase entrance.

You have two hours, before closing, says the ranger. 

Thank you, says Gaius. And if that's not enough?

Come back tomorrow, says the ranger.

Gaius pays eleven dollars. Terence is free.

Gaius remounts his bike.

Keep an eye out for Arthur and Louisa, says Gaius.

I'm keeping two eyes out, says Terence. And my orange peel.

He waves the orange peel which was half split in the middle.

One half of the orange peel drops off.

The ranger comes running.

No littering! says the ranger.

Apologies, says Gaius. Would you mind picking it up?

You do it, says the ranger. You dropped it.

Terence dropped it, says Gaius. But if you insist...

I'll do it, sighs the ranger.

She picks up the peel and returns it to Terence.

What's this? A juvenile Glossy! Don't you know they're endangered?

Of course we do, says Gaius. It was abandoned. We thought it might find a home here. 

Not likely, says the ranger. But worth a try I suppose. Have you given it some water?

Yes, says Terence. But it couldn't get the lid off.

The ranger is appalled.

That's not the case, Terence, says Gaius. Don't make up stories. It was you who couldn't get the lid off.

I suppose you blame the infant for everything? snorts the ranger.

Of course not, says Gaius. In fact now that I'm here, I'll offer it water myself.

He takes off his back pack, opens the bottle of water, and tips some into his hand.

 He offers it to Baby-Glossy, who is prostrate beside Terence, on top of Gaius's notebooks and clothes.

Baby-Glossy is unresponsive.

Hold his head, Terence, says Gaius. I'll drip water onto his beak.

Drip drip. He drips it.

Baby-Glossy hiccups. His beak opens. Water dribbles in.

It's clear that death in Baby-Glossy's case has been temporary.

Sqoo! says Baby-Glossy.

A happy outcome. 

We should tell Saint Roley, says Terence.

Next time we see him we shall, says Gaius. But it's more pressing that we should find Arthur.

Arthur? says the ranger. He's just over there with Louisa. Why didn't you say you knew Arthur? 

I didn't think to, says Gaius. Thank you.

Get him to tell you the poem, says the ranger.

Certainly, says Gaius. I wonder what inspired him to compose one?

It's not his poem, says the ranger. It's Richie Porte's poem. Arthur's friend Sweezus sent it to him, from France.

Dear me, says Gaiis. Was it a good one?

The ranger laughs. 

Richie's not a top poet, but it's a valuable insight. Quite introspective. And did you know he came third on the Grand Colombier this arvo? How good is that?

Very good indeed, says Gaius. Well, I mustn't waste any more of my precious two hours. See you at five.

He turns and rides towards Arthur.


No comments: