Sunday, September 27, 2020

Delicious Marsupial

Now it is morning.

Sunlight filters into the cave

Everyone is awake now.

Only Gaius is missing.

Gaius returns to the cave with his notebook.

You were right, Terence, it was a night heron, says Gaius. 

He shows Terence his notebook.

Night Heron x 1  

Is that my one? asks Terence.

One and the same, says Gaius. Well spotted!

Terence feels proud.

We should get going, says Arthur. 

Are we going to split up? asks Louisa.

Not me and the Ear, says Terence. 

You can both stay with me, says Gaius. 

Where? asks Terence. 

Here, says Gaius. You can help me. Your night heron gave me some crucial information. 

Did you speak to it? asks Louisa.

I did, says Gaius. Unbelievable as it may seem, yesterday evening it had eaten a dunnart.

What? cries Louisa. I don't believe it! A dunnart! They're critically endangered!

I know, I know, says Gaius. But one needs to tread carefully. The night heron was unaware of the plight of the dunnart. He was simply eating a delicious marsupial treat.

So, says Arthur. Did you write Dunnart x 1 in your notebook?

No, says Gaius. I did not feel justified, not having seen it.  

There may be other dunnarts in the area, says Louisa. Is that why you're staying?

Yes, says Gaius. That's why I'm staying.

Okay, says Arthur. But I'm off.

Don't forget to look for Alfonse, and his family, says Louisa. 

Hey! says Terence. I want to go with Arthur.

You can come with me if you like, says Louisa. I'm going to the lighthouse. We might see Alfonse there.

Yay! says Terence.

All right, says Gaius. I can manage here. Just leave me an orange.

O those oranges.

Will they never run out?

The parties split up.


No comments: