Friday, April 12, 2019

Might Be Jasper

Gaius and Elodie come out of the motel with their back packs.

Apologies for taking so long, says Gaius.

They wanted us to pay extra, says Elodie. Because the pool was dirty.

Ridiculous, says Gaius. Three swallows don't make a summer.

I don't get it, says Sprocket. Was there bird shit in the pool? And how come you had to pay for it?

We refused to pay for it, says Gaius.

Not your swallows? says Sprocket.

They weren't even swallows, says Elodie. They were Baby Pierre and his friends.

I wasn't dirty, protests Baby Pierre.

I know, says Gaius. That's why my comparison was apt. Had you been dirty I should have said four swallows don't make a summer.

I think, says Elodie, that four swallows might hint at a summer.

Perhaps you're right, Elodie, says Gaius. What do you think Sprocket?

Derr, says Sprocket.

Come on, Sprocket, says Elodie. You can do better.

Give me a clue, says Sprocket.

Four somethings that don't make a something, says Elodie.

But Sprocket can't think of four anythings that don't make a something.

I'll get back to you, says Sprocket. Shove your stuff in the tray. Wait a second.

He presses a button.

The tray cover goes up.

Cool yeah?

Gaius and Elodie throw their back packs in, climb into the HiLux and do up their seat belts.

Just a minute, says Gaius. Something feels uncomfortable.

He pulls Mouldy, First Dirty and Second Dirty from his pocket.

The three swallows, says Gaius.

We heard you, says Mouldy. And we didn't like it. It was wrong on so many levels.

Was it them? asks Sprocket.

Yes, says Gaius. I begin to regret my analogy.

What're they made of? asks Sprocket.

Probably just sandstone, says Gaius.

Sprocket looks at the pool-washed pinky-red pebbles.

Might be jasper, says Sprocket.

I don't think so, says Gaius. What makes you think so?

Seen it before, says Sprocket. Jasper's cool. You can make jewellery of it.

Arty, says Elodie.

That's me, says Sprocket. And I'm still thinking.

About the four somethings? asks Elodie.

Yep, says Sprocket.

We're jasper, says Mouldy. Hear that?

He said might be, says Baby Pierre. Might be jasper. Three words do not jasper make.

Gaius is the only one besides Baby Pierre who thinks this is witty.


No comments: