Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Space In The Shape

Shu phones Arthur.

Arthur's phone rings.

Arthur looks at the number. He doesn't know it. He answers.

What is it?

Arthur, says Shu. It's me . Urgent message from Gaius.

He's forgotten something, says Arthur.

His notes on Project Maratus, says Shu.

What are you eating,? asks Arthur.

Dinner, says Shu.

Sounds like you're chewing on carpet, says Arthur.

Rockmelon rind, says Shu. You should try it.

Sure, says Arthur. So where are these notes he's forgotten?

At his house, says Shu. And he said you know where the spare key is.

I do, says Arthur.

Can we meet there? asks Shu.

No need, says Arthur. I'll go.

But I want to, says Shu. I'll get Katherine to box up some leftovers.

Arthur is hungry. He has long since spent the tin money. But leftover carpet?

Gruurrr. His belly rumbles.

Okay, says Arthur. Meet you there.

.....

Twenty minutes later, at Gaius's house.

Arthur lets himself in.

He turns the lights on.

Ommmm! a hum from the window sill.

Arthur? a whisper from a jumble of stones.

Arthur goes into Gaius's workroom.

Notebooks, notebooks, diagrams and maps. More notebooks.

He picks one. The Endangered Bandy Bandy. Not that.

He picks another. A smiling picture of Daniel O'Connell, the spider from Romania. Not that one either.

He decides to wait in the kitchen for Shu.

Arthur! It's that voice again. He knows it.

Lavender, says Arthur.

I thought you'd gone to Lake Jasper with Gaius and Baby Pierre, says Lavender.

I haven't, says Arthur. I might not even go.

Why not? asks Lavender. I would go in a heartbeat.

Why didn't you? asks Arthur.

She turns her mouth down.

No room, says Lavender.

Come on, says Arthur. You're a space in the shape of a fossil.

I LOVE you! says Lavender.

Arthur is not sure why she loves him for telling her what her shape is.

What? says Lavender. You said come on.

I meant that couldn't be the reason, says Arthur.

But I'm coming now, aren't I, says Lavender.

A gingery smell wends its way to Arthur's nostrils.

It's the leftovers. Shu has arrived.

Here we are, says Shu. Tuck in. It's still warm. I brought chopsticks.

He is hopeful he and Arthur might have a friendly fight with the chopsticks, later on.

Arthur starts eating the stir fry. It's not just rockmelon rind. It's chicken and ginger. And green bits.

Watermelon rind, says Shu. For contrast.

Arthur eats the whole lot, it's quite yummy.

Then he and Shu look for Gaius's notes on Project Maratus.

This time Arthur spots them.

He gives them to Shu.

Then he goes into the kitchen and opens a cutlery drawer.

He pulls two sharp knives out.

Shu has followed.

Ai! Even better than chopsticks!

No comments: