Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Nevertheless We Know Sweetness

Who is this second intruder?

A new clot?

How to ask him this question?

~~~bloop~~~

It's me, says Baby Pierre.  Here to retrieve the dropped date ball.

The crumbly insides of the thrombolite shudder.

Who will answer?

~~~bloop~~~ we will~~~~

Will what? says Baby Pierre. Just wait. You don't have to actually do anything.

~~~we will answer ~~~~

Shut up, says Baby Pierre. I can't see the date ball.

~~~it's dissolving~~~

I know! says Baby Pierre. I need to GATHER it.

~~~gather it~~~~

Baby Pierre can't gather it. It's all soft, and bits of date are breaking off it.

What if he kicks it?

He kicks it.

It falls through the water and settles on sand.

Now the adjoining thrombolite is bothered.

But not nearly as much.

Perhaps that's the best case scenario, says Baby Pierre. It's only one date ball.

Any luck? calls Gaius.

Get me up, says Baby Pierre.  No wait! I'm having a conversation.

With the thrombolite? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Baby Pierre. It said it would answer.

Mercury's mandibles! says Gaius. Ask it..... errr....how long it's been there.

What a daft question, says Baby Pierre. I have a better question.

He asks it.

What is the meaning of life?

~~~what's in a date ball?~~~

Dates, says Baby Pierre. I guess you've never thought about the existential question.

~~~all the time; there must be more to it~~~

That's what I think, says Baby Pierre. It can't just be about leaving your mother who's gone all new ageist and only listens to the thoughts of the Omniscient Pebble.

~~~it has sugar in it~~~

Huh? says Baby Pierre.

~~~the date ball~~~

I don't think so, says Baby Pierre. Elodie said it was healthy.

~~~~nevertheless, we know sweetness~~

A few tiny filaments of coconut float by, unnoticed.

No comments: