Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Flummm-Shh-Shh

Alexander-Curly is moved, to hear his own story.

And how he has died too early.

He hopes Arthur will not forget to write it down.

Arthur has returned to the other end of the table, where Marie is opening the Monte Carlos.

Alexander-Red-Hook looks over the rim of the salad bowl.

How are you doing? she asks.

Arthur made me a poem, says Alexander-Curly.

I heard it, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I was just down there on the sand, waiting for something.

What? asks Alexander-Curly.

The knucklebones, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

O to have worldly concerns, says Alexander-Curly. You do know I'm dying?

I do dear, says Alexander-Red-Hook. If I had the knucklebones with me, I'd show you a juggle.

You can't juggle! says Alexander-Curly.

I'm quite certain I can, says Alexander-Red-Hook. But when Sweezus put them down, Lauren picked up the knucklebones.

Why would she do that? asks Alexander-Curly, interested even though he is fading.

They're just like the ones she used to have as a girl, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Don't you think that's funny?

Funny haha? asks Alexander-Curly.

Funny mysterious, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Not really, says Alexander-Curly.

Think, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Where did Sweezus get them?

Weren't they in a cardboard box? asks Curly. With the medal?

And the biscuits, says Alexander-Red-Hook. But Sweezus doesn't live here. He's on holiday. Lauren lives here.

Alexander-Curly's head is swimming.

What are you saying?

That they might be HER knucklebones, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Say he found them, in her shed.

What about the medal? asks Alexander-Curly, faintly.

Lauren has a son, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I believe he and Sweezus are about the same age. It could be his medal.

Alexander-Curly can't get his head around all these details.

And really one ought to die calm.

I'm upsetting you, Curly, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Forget this. I'll follow it up later. For now, how may I soothe you?

Sing me to my rest, mumbles Alexander-Curly.

Of course she will. He is her brother.

Lalalalay... oolayoolay.. flummmmmmmmm....shh.....shh......shh

He dies.

It's exquisite.

No comments: