Monday, April 13, 2020

I Just Say I Didn't Say When

Terence plods into the water.

Hey, says Alexander-Red-Hook. You're not meant to be here.

I know, says Terence. Look at my feet.

He wiggles his knees and his bottom.

His feet sink in deeper.

This is nice of you, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Sinking? asks Terence.

Coming out here to retrieve us, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I didn't, says Terence.

And it isn't, says Alexander-Curly. We don't want to go back.

No, we don't, says Alexander-Groovy.

You don't have to, says Terence.

See? says Alexander-Groovy.

I do, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I promised.

Do what I do, says Terence.

What do you do? asks Alexander-Red-Hook.

Whatever I want, says Terence.

About promises, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Terence thinks, as the water rises up to his waistband, or rather his waistband approaches the water.

I add something, says Terence.

A caveat? says Alexander-Red-Hook.

No, says Terence, I just say I didn't say when.

I suppose I didn't say when, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

So you can stay out here until when, says Terence. And no one can stop you.

You, however, says Kierkegaard, must come in immediately.

Bumhole! Kierkegaard has waded out to fetch Terence, before he has stopped sinking.

And you crabs, says Kierkegaard. While I'm out here, what are you thinking?

I realise I didn't say when, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

No one knows WHEN, says Kierkegaard. The question is, can you make the infinite qualitative distinction?

Woo! What does that mean?

The crabs would like to know, but not Terence.

Kierkegaard lifts Terence out of his sinkhole.

Squeeeelch! Slup!

And carries him back to the shore.

He deposits him next to Gaius, who is waiting beside the empty salad bowls.

Any news? asks Gaius, ignoring Terence, for which Terence is glad.

I'm just going back to explain the infinite qualitative distinction to them, says Kierkegaard. They appear to be interested.

Before you do, why not undo your leg rope, says Gaius.

Ah yes, Kierkegaard had the feeling that something was holding him back




No comments: