Saturday, July 30, 2022

I Could Post Him

What else did Gaius have to say for himself? asks David.

He was too busy looking for gobies to watch the Tour, says Katherine.

In other words, he's offended, says David.

Who is this Gaius? asks N F S Grundtvig.

A natural historian, says Vello. And a good domestique. But no philosopher.

He's as good a philosopher as you, says Katherine. And more practical. 

Thank you Katherine, says Vello. 

Have I usurped him? asks N F S Grundtvig? I had no idea.

Never mind, says David. We'll include him next year.

Roo-kai hops into the café.

Look! says Terence. We got the frogs back. Quiet-tartus exploded!

I nearly exploded, says Quiet-tartus. Instead I expelled the toadstone.

I know about that, says Roo-kai. 

Sit down, says David. Have a madeleine.

I don't normally eat madeleines, says Roo-kai. Do they serve molluscs?

I'll ask, says David.

He goes to the counter to ask.

I can't stay long, says Roo-kai.

Why not? asks Terence. 

I must find Baby Pierre, says Roo-kai. After what happened to the frog team, I fear for his safety.

Last seen where? asks Vello.

Walking down a country lane, says Roo-kai.

In which direction? asks Vello. 

North-west, says Roo-kai.

He'll be heading for the coast, says Katherine. 

Let's find him! says Terence. 

He'll be fine, says Quiet-tartus.

Fine, says the knowlesi. 

He doesn't have a bicycle, says Terence. 

That means he'll be travelling slowly, says Vello.

David comes back with half a dozen oysters.

Roo-kai gulps them down.

Thanks. Now I'm off to find Baby Pierre, says Roo-kai

Then what? asks Katherine. How will you post him back to Australia?

I'll bring him to you, says Roo-kai. You can  take him home in your luggage.

I'm leaving tomorrow, says Katherine.

So are we, says David.

I could post him, says N F S Grundtvig. 

Yay! says Terence. Can you post me as well?

I'm not leaving you behind, says Katherine.

Belle's here, says Terence. Doing the girls' race.

So she is! says Vello. This solves everything!

Maybe it does. 


No comments: