Sunday, July 31, 2022

Solitude Versus Not-Cousin

And where is Baby Pierre? 

He has left Paris behind. 

He has walked down country lanes and stopped often.

He has met other pebbles.

Most of the pebbles are happy to stay where they are.

But one pebble, who reminds Baby Pierre of his cousin Ouvert, has joined him.

Just as far as the Parc Naturel du Vexin, says the pebble, who isn't his cousin Ouvert.

I welcome the company, says Baby Pierre. Solitude is a fine thing, but one's own thoughts can be self serving.

You are wise, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

I am an atheist and free thinker, says Baby Pierre proudly.

Not-Cousin-Ouvert thinks that this is a contradiction, but does not say so.

Where are you headed eventually? asks Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

The seaside, says Baby Pierre.

It is a long way to the seaside, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

I seek to meet with a lobster, says Baby Pierre.

Any lobster? asks Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

One who knows Ageless, says Baby Pierre. My mentor.

Ageless lobster, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. What for?

It's a long story, says Baby Pierre.

Tell it, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

Baby Pierre is happy to tell it. The real cousin Ouvert would not have asked.  

It was the final stage of the Tour de France, says Baby Pierre. I was speeding back and forth, as I do. When suddenly, Bang! A motor bike hit me. As I lay on the ground, my bicycle in pieces, I was struck by the thought: I don't have to accept this. I got up, and walked.

Did it occur to you that you may have been concussed? asks Not-Cousin-Overt.

Whoever heard of a pebble being concussed? says Baby Pierre. Besides, have you seen this?

He tips his head forward. Not-Cousin-Ouvert sees the Mark of the Claw.

Is that a bruise, or a tulip? asks Not-Cousin-Ouvert,.

It is now Baby Pierre starts to see a certain similarity.

Not regarding the tulip. Of course not.

But to Cousin Ouvert


No comments: