Monday, August 1, 2022

Cherry Red Finger Prints

This is good of you, Belle, says Katherine.

Not at all, says Belle. It will be lovely to spend time with Terence.

When are we leaving? asks Terence.

As soon as Roo-kai confirms the direction, says Belle. 

Goodbye then, says Katherine. Let me know when you locate Baby Pierre.

We will, says Belle. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

If he's alive, says Terence.

He'll be alive, says Belle.

Katherine goes back to her hotel. Time to pack.

Belle and Terence wait on a corner.

Roo-kai flutters down.

Have you seen him? asks Belle.

No, says Roo-kai. But I've met various pebbles on various roads out of Paris, and some have seen him.

So which way are we going? asks Belle.

Towards Rouen, says Roo-kai. 

Did they say how he seemed? asks Belle. Wobbly, disorientated?

Insouciant, says Roo-kai. 

What's that? asks Terence.

Carefree, says Roo-kai.

Perhaps he doesn't want to be found, says Belle.

He DOES, says Terence. And he wants his wheels back.

Terence reaches into his shorts pocket and pulls out a tiny green wheel.

Only one? says Belle.

No, says Terence, reaching in for another.

The knowlesi hops out.

Stop poking about!, says the knowlesi. We're napping.

Are you bringing the frogs? asks Belle. I didn't know that.

We're coming, says the knowlesi. We're not being brought.

Shut up! shouts Quiet-tartus, who has woken up in Terence's pocket and heard this. We ARE being brought!

It doesn't matter, says Belle. You are both welcome. It's nice that you want to help us find Baby Pierre.

Are we ready? asks Roo-kai. Follow me.

Belle lifts Terence into a basket attached to her bike. It's at the front, so Terence can see where they're going.

In the basket is a six-pack of black current juices.

Yay! 

Belle pedals down the road to Rouen, following Roo-kai, who is flying.

........

Baby Pierre and Not-Cousin-Ouvert are still walking and talking. 

They rarely get tired.

Tell me your story, says Baby Pierre, now that I've told you mine.

O, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert, I'm sure that's not all of it.

Well no, admits Baby Piere. That was just the last bit, But it's your turn.

The last bit of my story, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. Before I met you..... let me remember. O yes, for a long time I was lying on the roadside, before that, I lay in a ditch.

How did you get out of the ditch and onto the roadside? asks Baby Pierre.

A human hand, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. Stained with cherry juice. I may still have the marks. Although it has rained a bit lately.

Turn around, says Baby Pierre. Yes, I see faint cherry red finger prints. Why didn't they keep you?

I didn't want to be kept. I did my best to disguise the features that attracted the hand's owner to pick me up in the first place.

Your two mouths! says Baby Pierre. How did you do that?

Not-Cousin-Ouvert closes one mouth so tightly that Baby Pierre can no longer see it.

Cousin Ouvert could do that. It was his party trick.

It's uncanny.


No comments: