Tuesday, August 2, 2022

You Have His Face

 Baby Pierre and Not-Cousin-Ouvert continue down the country lane, avoiding the ditches.

You remind me of my cousin Ouvert, says Baby Pierre.

In what way? asks Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

You have his face, says Baby Pierre. 

This is my face, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. But I suppose you mean our faces are similar. When did you last see him?

Ages ago, says Baby Pierre. But I can easily picture him.

Picture him, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

Baby Pierre likes his new companion. He's good at conversation.

My cousin Ouvert is pale grey and bean-shaped, says Baby Pierre. Like you, but a little more at the bottom. He has two mouths, one always open, for talking, the other one closed, for smirking. And several notches

Does the open mouth go right through to the back? asks Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

I never asked him, says Baby Pierre.

You would surely have noticed, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. Mine does.

He turns slowly, revealing the hole in his back, aligned with his mouth.

Baby Pierre realises that, by squinting, he can see right through it.

You'd be good on a bicycle, says Baby Pierre. Aero-dynamic.

But I have very short legs, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

That can be overcome by the design of the bicycle, says Baby Pierre. If you like I could help you.

Perhaps when we get to the Parc Naturel, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. We can rest there, and work on the features.

Sure, says Baby Pierre. 

A shadow flies overhead, circles and lands.

It's Roo-kai.

I've found you, says Roo-kai. You look in good shape.

I am in good shape, says Baby Pierre. And I wasn't lost, thank you.

That is a problem, says Roo-kai.

A problem? says Baby Pierre.

Belle and Terence and the frogs are searching for you, says Roo-kai. Terence is keen to find you. He has your two sets of wheels.

Has he? says Baby Pierre. I don't suppose you could ask them to give you the wheels?

How unfair that would be! says Roo-kai. Terence would be disappointed.

Baby Pierre cares not a hoot if Terence would be disappointed.

Walk with us a while, says Baby Pierre. By the way, this is my companion, who reminds me of my cousin Ouvert.

What is his name? asks Roo-kai.

I haven't asked him, says  Baby Pierre. I think of him as Not-Cousin-Ouvert.

I don't have a name, says Not-Cousin-Ouvert. But Not-Cousin-Ouvert strikes me as kind of insulting.

Then you must choose your own name, says Roo-kai.


No comments: