Monday, August 29, 2022

Nothing For The Daughter

Shall we get going? asks Belle.

I won't come much further, says Nico. 

It was nice of you to come this far, says Belle.

I have enjoyed it, says Nico. But yes, look at the time. I should probably head back right now.

Bye, then, says Belle. Hey, what about Parsley?

What about Parsley? says Nico. 

Could you take her back to where we found her? asks Belle.

If she wants to go, says Nico. Where is she now?

Still down at the river, says Roo-kai, looking up from Terence's impressionist sausages.

I'll see if I can find her, says Nico.

He stands up and walks down to the river.

A canoeist is dragging his canoe out of the water.

Bonjour! says Nico. Have you seen a small green spotted frog?

Non, says the canoeist. Only this carrot.

Alors! says Nico. That's it!

It cannot be a frog, says the canoeist. It is a carrot.

Desolé says Nico. What I mean is, that this is our carrot, which is travelling to Le Havre independently.

You may have it, says the canoeist. But as the tide has just turned, I would not recommend that your carrot returns to the river. Do you have a bicycle?

I do, says Nico. It is back there, a short distance. But I have decided to return to Rouen, as I have an early start at work tomorrow,

Does the carrot really need to go to Le Havre? asks the canoeist.

Its companions are going, says Nico. In particular, a kind hearted young woman who is following a pebble.

A pebble, says the canoeist. How does one.....?

And an infant, says Nico. A remarkable infant who sketches.....

But the pebble, says the canoeist. Are you suggesting it moves?

It moves very well, says Nico. I gave it a lift for some of the way, but it's chosen to walk the next part, with its cousin.

Its cousin! say the canoeist.

In fact I believe the pebble normally rides its own bicycle, says Nico, but it lost its wheels in a Tour de France crash. 

The canoeist says nothing. What is there to say?

I see you look sceptical, says Nico, but take a look at this carrot. See this o-ring jammed round its tail? This o-ring is one of the the wheels of the damaged bicycle.

How did it get round the carrot? asks the canoeist.

You know that pond with a waterfall, in Square Verdrel? says Nico. The carrot was in the water, needing to be rescued.The infant leaned over too far and fell in. The wheel fell out of the infant's pocket, and the carrot manoeuvred itself into it. Or so I heard. I was in the Museé des Beaux Arts with the young woman, showing her the impressionist paintings.

A satisfying story, says the canoeist. And now I must go. I intended to give the carrot to my daughter, but now, as I won't have the carrot, I must stop at a green grocers on my way home. Au revoir, mon ami. I hope you find your frog.

The canoeist ties his canoe to a tree, and heads off to find a green grocer. 

Nico walks back to Belle with the wet flaccid carrot.

At least he has that. Too bad about the frog.


No comments: