Sunday, August 21, 2022

Intervention At 45 Degrees

Terence tries to grab hold of the carrot.

The carrot floats further away. 

Terence will fall into the pond, unless there is an intervention.

Baby Pierre and Ouvert are watching, from not far away.

Do you think he'll fall in? asks Ouvert.

No, says Baby Pierre. His parrot will save him.

It might be too late, says Ouvert.

And it looks like it is.

Terence is now at a forty five degree angle.

No one remains at a forty five degree angle.

Roo-kai is right there beside him, still focusing on the carrot.

It is only now that Roo-kai perceives Terence's angle.

Roo-kai steps behind Terence.

He fixes his beak to the back of Terence shorts, and begins to pull Terence backwards.

Terence returns slowly to upright.

He will not fall in.

Nor does he have the carrot.

I'll get the carrot, says Roo-kai, stepping back in.

I would have, says Terence.

I know, says Roo-kai. But I feel it's my fault the carrot floated off again, when I said I might try it cooked or grated. I didn't think how that would sound to the carrot. Of course I had no intention of grating or cooking our carrot.

Yes it's your fault, says Terence. That carrot understands everything, even if it can only say carrot.

Mm, says Roo-kai, moving towards the fast swimming carrot. 

Carrot! cries the carrot, in a panicky tone.

Fear not, says Roo-kai. This is what's going to happen. I will propel you towards Terence who is there at the edge of the pond. As soon as you are close enough to dispel my fear of Terence falling into the pond, I will give Terence a signal, and he will retrieve you. Terence will protect you from harm until we can leave Rouen and throw you back into the Seine. How does that sound?

Carrot, says the carrot.

Roo-kai takes this as an okay.

He propels the carrot towards the stone edge of the pond where Terence is waiting.

But not for the signal.

Terence leans forward.

And falls in.

But fear not. This could be a good thing.


1 comment:

Allan Webber said...

Can one say 'great' about this carrot story without causing the hero any
offence