Sunday, July 3, 2022

Stage 3: Vejle to Sonderborg - Ring-riders

Another fine day, in Denmark.

The teams roll out of Vejle.

Team Condor are riding together.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Today you guys need to support me.

We always support you, says Pablo. 

Not yesterday, says Sweezus. I thought I was cactus, before the end. At least you guys got those sandwiches.

But you know what was in them, says Pablo.

It's still protein, says Sweezus. Don't you reckon?

Dead flies, says Arthur. I've had worse. But I was glad they were tiny.

The flies weren't that tiny, says Pablo.

The sandwiches, says Arthur. They were tiny.

We'll be okay today, says Pablo. Thanks to Baby Pierre's girlfriend.

Baby Pierre's girlfriend! He said he didn't have one!

Let's investigate.

Katherine is waiting at the feeding station, with Terence and a pretty young lady, in a long flowing skirt.

I'n so happy to have met you, says the pretty young lady. 

Likewise, Sirene, says Katherine. And it was kind of you to make up musettes for the boys.

O yes, says Sirene. I had plenty of time to do it, as my boyfriend Baby Pierre only wants water.

If only Team Philosophe merely wanted water, says Katherine. I had all sorts of bother. In the end I bought these funny Danish sausages.

Let me see, says Sirene. O these are our famous Ring-riders!

Dear me, are they? says Katherine. I hope that doesn't mean what it sounds like.

No, no, it doesn't, says Sirene. It's to do with horse riding.

I've got a horse, says Terence. Well I havent,  but I've got a toy one. Except I haven't, because I lost it. 

I see, says Sirene. What a lovely story!

Team Condor rides up and slows down to take their musettes from Sirene.

Tak, says Sweezus. Tak, Sirene, says Pablo. Thanks, says Arthur.

Sirene smiles at Arthur.

I hope you like salt, murmurs Sirene.

Team Philosophe trundles by, each grabbing a musette from Katherine.

Ring-rider sausages! shout Katherine, introducing a frisson of fear in the members.

But once again we are forgetting what's important.

Which is.

Who will win this?

Let us fast forward to the finish. Is it Peter Sagan? No, he has come fourth.

Is it Jasper Philipsen? No, he has come third.

Is it Wout van Aert? Surely it is? No, he has come second.

It is Dylan Groenewegen. 

Well, he deserves it.

No comments: