Thursday, April 20, 2023

Beauty Of Helpful Names

Gaius and Terence head for the area of forest where Gaius expects Pierre-Louis to be.

We should call out, says Terence.

No need to further disturb the nocturnal creatures, says Gaius.

Bang!

Ha ha, laughs Terence.

I can understand why you're laughing, says Gaius. There is an irony to the situation...

But irony is not why Terence is laughing.

He has seen Pierre-Louis, on his back, legs in the air, under a tree.

Pierre-Louis! cries Gaius. What happened?

Nothing, says Pierre-Louis, standing up with caution.

We received a message that you were stuck in a tree!

A message? From whom? asks Pierre-Louis.

Powerful Owl, says Terence. He's our friend, but not Squatty's. 

I thought I spotted a powerful owl, says Pierre-Louis.

And you recognised it, says Gauius. Well done.

What do you mean, recognised it? asks Pierre-Louis.

Identified it by name, says Gaius. The ninox strenua, commonly known as the Powerful Owl.

Well, I didn't really, says Pierre-Louis. I simply thought it looked... powerful. 

That's the beauty of names, says Gaius. Although, not always...

He is about to give some examples of unhelpful names, when Squattu drops down on the party.

Found him! says Squattu.

We found him, says Terence. He wasn't stuck in the tree, he fell out.

Okay, says Squattu. So did he find the tree hollow?

I don't know, says Terence. We didn't ask him.

Ask him, says Squattu.

Did you? asks Terence. 

What? asks Pierre-Louis.

Find a tree hollow, asks Terence.

Yes, did you? asks Gaius.

I did, says Pierre-Louis. Up there (he points up, unnecessarily). I was just peering in when I slipped.

Was it empty? asks Gaius.

I think so, says Pierre Louis.

Get the drone! says Terence.

I'll go, says Squattu. She zooms up to the hollow, and looks in.

At first she sees nothing but shredded bark, looking quite comfy.

But then she sees the spatulate toes of what could only be a Leadbeater's possum.

Squiddly-dee! Who needs a drone?


No comments: