Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Brown Blur

Terence has found a good spot for doing his sketching.

But he has to stand up.

He holds his sketchbook open and looks through the train window.

A flat brown blur, with posts whizzing by.

This should be easy.

He draws a brown blur.

The carriage smells funny.

It must be the lunches.

He looks back. Gaius's tray table is down. So is Pierre-Louis's. And Grandpa's.

He draws a few posts.

His drawing is finished. Except for the sky.

He thinks about Easter, and the presents he's sure he remembers he's had.

A Peruvian hat (lost), a balloon parrot (burst), a toy horse....(Monty!)

He runs back to Gaius.

What about Monty?

Gaius is about to bite into a smoked ham foccaccia, having just dipped the end into a bowl of skordalia.

I hope I'm doing this right, says Gaius. 

What's the problem? asks Pierre-Louis.

It looks like mashed potato, says Gaius. 

Perhaps it's a dip, says Pierre-Louis. Did you get crackers?

No, says Gaius. Too late now.

The curry's delicious, says Pierre-Louis.

It is at this point that Terence arrives.

I DO get a present at Easter! says Terence. I remembered!

What have you remembered? asks Gaius.

Monty! cries Terence. Last year I got Monty.

Monty was a reward you were given for picking up dog hairs, says Gaius. Not related to Easter.

Was it AT Easter? asks Terence.

Around about that time, I suppose, says Gaius.

See, says Terence.

Show me your drawing, says Pierre-Louis.

Terence holds it up. 

It's realistic, says Pierre-Louis. Posts and blur. Are you still planning a series?

Yes, says Terence. They'll be joined together.

I look forward to seeing the finished project, says Pierre-Louis. 

Maybe I'll  get a reward, says Terence.

We'll see, says Pierre-Louis.

Yay! says Terence, running back to his window.

There, says Pierre-Louis. I tried to  divert his attention.

I noticed, says Gaius.

Did he pick up the dog hairs? asks Pierre-Louis. 

Not in the long run, says Gaius.


No comments: