Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Catch Kill Eat

Terence follows the flickering light.

The ground crackles.

Then squishes.

Hey! says Terence. 

Gaius does not reply.

The flickering light has vanished amongst the deep shadows

Boo! say two yellow dots in a tree.

Don't shoot! says Terence.

Book! continue the two yellow dots in the tree.

Book yourself, says Terence. 

You're not an owl, says the two yellow dots.

So what? says Terence. 

And your clearly no possum, say the two yellow dots in the tree,

I'm looking for a possum, says Terence.

I actually have one, right here, say the dots. 

Is it a gymbelly? asks Terence.

How good would that be? He could show it to Gaius.

A ringtail, say the dots. Want to see it?

Yes, says Terence. Does it have gecko toes?

A dead ringtail possum falls to the ground next to Terence.

The two yellow dots disappear.

An owl glides down.

Owl! says Terence. 

Powerful Owl to you, says the Powerful Owl. And this is my possum.

It's dead, says Terence.

Catch, kill, eat, says the Powerful Owl. 

I'm on a science team, says Terence. I work the drone. We're looking for gymbellies.

No such thing, says the Powerful Owl. If there was, I'd eat it.

You wouldn't be allowed, says Terence. They're in-dangered.

I'm endangered, says the Powerful Owl. That doesn't stop me.

Are you going to eat that dead possum? asks Terence.

Yes, says the Powerful Owl. Want to watch?

Terence does and he doesn't.....

No. He definitely doesn't.

I might have got the wrong name, says Terence. If I catch up to Gaius he'll tell me.

Okay, go, says the Powerful Owl. 

And then I'll come back and tell you, says Terence.

Why? asks the Powerful Owl, getting ready to tear the dead ringtail possum into bite-sized pieces.

Then you can help us to find one, says Terence. 

Okay, says the Powerful Owl.

Wait! says Terence. I remembered! It's a Leadbeater's possum.

Good remembering, says the Powerful Owl. I'm bad at it.

You've got a small head, says Terence.

Big claws, small head, long tail, says the Powerful Owl. That's me.

(It seems he is fine with his body image).

I've got a normal head, says Terence. And one claw. And I used to have a red woolly sheep's tail. It was part of my costume, but I'm not wearing it now.

(So is he).


No comments: