Saturday, April 29, 2023

Mourning Not Morning

Why are you looking for spiders? asks the growling grass frog.

Because I'm bored, says Terence.

And how come you know so much about penguins? asks the growling grass frog.

Because my best friend is a penguin, says Terence.

No penguins here, says the growling grass frog.

That's why I'm looking for spiders, says Terence.

Any one in particular? asks the growling grass frog.

Daniel O'Connell, says Terence. But he probably died.

Like they all do, says the growing grass frog. Well I'm off now. Goodbye.

Goodbye, frog, says Terence.

He wanders further away from the campsite where Gaius and Pierre-Louis are sleeping.

A skink darts across his path and disappears into a tussock.

Gecko! says Terence.

The skink is not pleased. It isn't a gecko. 

It pokes its small head out of the tussock.

Come out, gecko, says Terence.

Maybe I would, if I was a gecko, says the skink.

What does that mean? says Terence.

I'm not one, says the skink. 

How am I meant to know? asks Terence. All I can see is your head.

Get ready to be amazed then, says the skink. Are you ready?

Yes I'm ready, says Terence.

The skink comes out from the tussock.

I'm an easterm mourning skink, says the eastern mourning skink, turning this way and that.

What happens to you in the afternoon? asks Terence.

Mourning not morning, says the eastern mourning skink. Mourning means you're sad about something.

I'm sad about being bored, says Terence. And sad about everyone being asleep except me. And sad that I never got a horse. And I'm sad I lost my peruvian hat. It was....

Stop talking, says the eastern mourning skink. I didn't come out of the tussock to hear you complaining. 

Sorry, says Terence. Why are you sad?

I'm not sad, says the eastern mourning skink. I just look sad.

No you don't, says Terence. You look fancy

Thanks, says the eastern mourning skink. So do you.

These are my old gecko shorts, says Terence. They used to be even more fancy.

I bet, says the eastern mourning skink. Where did you get them?

I don't remember, says Terence. I've also got some red woolly ones with a tail.

I'd like some of those, says the eastern mourning skink.

Then you'd have two tails, says Terence.

Yes, says the eastern mourning skink. Is your tail red and woolly?

Yes, says Terence, and if I want to look funny I can wear them back to front.

Ha ha! laughs the eastern mourning skink.

Terence and the eastern mourning skink are getting on well. 

Want to come back and meet my science team? asks Terence.

Okay, says the eastern mourning skink.

They head to the campsite.


No comments: