Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Can I Have A Spider?

The half hour play date flies by.

Banjo's parents come back with a haul of dead spiders.

Spiders! says Banjo. My favourite.

Do you eat them? asks Terence.

Yes, says Banjo. Don't you?

Come on, Banjo, says Banjo's mother. It's nearly morning. Time to curl up in our hollow and sleep. Thank these people for the play date,.

Thanks for the play date, says Banjo.

You're most welcome, says Gaius. But surely you need not all go yet. Would one of you adults like to stay for a chat?

All right, says Banjo's mother. Dad can take Banjo up. I'll stay for a few minutes.

Bye, says Terence.

Bye, says Banjo.

Banjo and his father go up.

Inside the hollow, Banjo's dad asks Banjo what he did on the play date.

We swapped names, says Banjo.

That sounds like fun, says his dad. So you were called Terence and he was called Banjo. Then what?

We told jokes, says Banjo. I asked him what an Irish possum was called.

That's a good one, says dad. Did he get it?

I think so, says Banjo. 

You don't sound too sure, says dad. Did he laugh, or did you have to explain it?

Can I have a spider? asks Banjo, changing the subject.

Okay, says dad, but finish it quickly, before mum gets back.

Banjo is given a spider.

Down below, Gaius and Pierre-Louis are chatting to Banjo's mother.

Life used to be better, says Banjo's mother.

Indeed, says Gaius. In what way?

There are few of us left now, says says Banjo's mother. 

I know, says Gaius. Your habitat is shrinking.

But what can we do? says Banjo's mother.

Can you stand sub-zero temperatures? asks Pierre-Louis.

Why do you ask? asks Banjo's mother.

There are more small communities of your species in the montane ash forests, says Pierre-Louis. Have you thought of moving up there?

Have they thought of moving down here? asks Banjo's mother. No, I don't think so.

We're planning to visit them, says Gaius. We'll be taking our drone.

I'm the one who knows how to work it, says Terence.

Perhaps you would like us to convey a message to your fellow possums, says Gaius. 

No, says Banjo's mother.

All right, says Gaius. That's your choice. Perhaps it's a wise one.

What about a joke? asks Terence.

What? Send them a joke? says Banjo's mother. I would, but I don't remember any.

What do you call an Irish possum? says Terence.

I know that one, says Banjo's mother, But it's lame. Tell you what, I'll go up and ask Banjo'd dad. He'll know a good one.

She darts away, up the tree.

I wonder what the answer was, says Gaius. 

I imagine it's opossum, says Pierre-Louis. 

Ha ha! laughs Gaius. Opossum! A fine joke. 

He thinks for a moment. 

What do you call an Australian possum? asks Gaius.

What? asks Pierre-Louis.

Pozzy! says Gaius.

Ha ha! laughs Pierre-Louis. That's a good one.

Terence doesn't get that one either.


No comments: