Thursday, April 6, 2023

Separating The Barbs

That's too much glue, says Gaius.

No it isn't, says Terence.

And he's right, if he's intending what happens.

The two pieces of feather become smothered in fish glue. 

The cut ends of the quill stick together.

The barbs become rats tails.

Wah! says Terence.

He tries putting them down.

But, bumhole! they're stuck to his fingers.

Now what? cries Terence.

Not to worry, says Gaius. The good thing about fish glue is that it softens in water.

Phew, says Squattu. That's good news and bad news.

I agree, says Gaius. It's not quite as good as your modern glues. 

What's the bad news? asks Terence.

That was the bad news, says Squattu. It's not as good.

Okay what's the good news? asks Terence.

I'm stuck to your leg, says Squattu. So the good news is the same as the bad news, We just need some water.

I'll go and get some, says Gaius. Stay here.

It's not like we have any choice, says Squattu.

I do, says Terence. So you do. Want to see what happens when I stand up?

No, says Squattu. If you stand up the other people in the carriage will see us.

So what? says Terence, standing up.

Immediately a passenger sitting in a single recliner sees Terence standing up with a bat stuck to his leg, and feathery fingers.

Although, to be fair, they don't look too feathery because of the glue.

The passenger is alarmed.

Little boy, says the passenger. Keep perfectly still, and don't touch the thing on your leg under any circumstances. I'll call a guard.

What thing? asks Terence. Can you see anything, Squatty?

It's me, says Squattu. I told you not to try and prove anything.

It's talking, says the passenger. 

Tell him I'm a robot, says Squattu.

She's a robot, says Terence.

A bat robot? Why is she stuck to your leg? asks the passenger.

She was helping me stick my feather back together, says Terence. But it stuck to me instead, and then she did, but it's good news and bad news.

What's going on? asks Gaius, returning with a glass of warm water.

Thought it was a bat, says the passenger. Turns out it's a robot.

Hum, says Gaius, deciding it's a good thing if the passenger thinks Squattu is a robot. Sit down Terence and I'll start softening the fish glue.

Is it all right to wet a robot? asks the passenger. What about the electronics?

Fingers first, says Gaius.

The passenger stands there.

Gaius dabs Terence's fingers.

He eases the feather pieces off.

Don't throw them away! cries Terence.

I won't, says Gaius. But they may not return to their original condition.

The passenger continues to stand there.

Do me now! squeaks Squattu. 

Perhaps, says Gaius to the passenger, you might like to assist us? 

I don't know much about robots, says the passenger.

You could take these wet pieces of feather back to your seat  and try to restore them, says Gaius.

The passenger is relieved. He accepts the feather pieces. 

He goes back and sits down.

He paintakingly separates the barbs and blows gently on the barbules.

At least it's something to do.


No comments: