Sunday, October 8, 2023

A Deeper Plot

Not so fast! says Victor the policeman.

I wasn't leaving, says Camus. I was intending to sleep in my car.

Good, says Victor. And where is Gaius? 

On the beach with Terence, says Camus.

Alive I presume? says Victor.

What are you implying? asks Camus.

Nothing, says Victor. I was reminded of your famous novel, and the knife murder. 

Gaius ate noodles for dinner, says Camus. For noodles you don't need a knife.

Of course, says Victor. Did he use chopsticks?

No, a wooden fork, says Camus. I used one myself.

Case closed, says Victor. But I'm here to open another one.

Not the penguin pie? asks Camus. 

Not that, says Victor. The chocolate poisoning.

I admit I gave the peregrine falcon a chocolate, says Camus. But its death is mere hearsay

I'm led to believe there are witnesses, says Victor.

Then produce one, says Camus. Now, about that penguin pie...

I know all about your hidden agenda, says Victor.

Are you on duty? asks Camus.

Not at present, says Victor.

Then come down to the beach and join us for Passiona and Cheezels, says Camus. And there may be a few tomatoes remaining, if Terence hasn't popped them.

All right, says Victor. That would be nice.

They head down to the sand.

Gaius is fashioning a comfortable sleeping spot in the soft sand. 

Terence is burying Waca.

Hello! says Victor. You probably weren't expecting me to turn up so promptly.

I wasn't expecting you at all, says Gaius. I did say it was unnecessary.

But it's all for the best, says Camus. Victor will discover there are no witnesses to the death of the falcon.

Me! says Terence.

You were not a witness, says Gaius. 

What's a witness? asks Terence.

Someone who saw something happen, says Gaius.

I saw something happen, says Terence. 

What was it? asks Victor.

The falcon attacked Waca, says Terence.

Who is Waca? asks Victor.

My parrot, while Roo-kai isn't here, says Terence.

Where is this Waca? asks Victor. 

I buried him, says Terence. 

Oi-oi! says Victor, sensing a deeper plot than he originally expected.

Have a Passiona, says Camus. opening one for himself and offering one to Victor.

Thanks, says Victor, accepting.

And help yourself to a Favourite, says Camus. They're going begging.

Victor takes two.

Not because he is greedy. 

He eats one (a Picnic) and slips the second one (a Bounty) into the evidence bag that he keeps in his pocket.

For when a dead body turns up.


No comments: