Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Third Possibility

Camus hurries back to the road, followed by Terence.

Where's the police car? asks Terence.

That's what we need to find out, says Camus. If I left the brakes off, it may have rolled down the road and crashed into a tree. 

Let's go and find it! says Terence.

Or maybe, says Camus, I left the car keys in it, and a passerby drove it away.

That's stealing! says Terence.

But, says Camus, there is a third possibility.

Yes, there is! says Victor, wheeling a bicycle out from behind a nearby bush. Albert Camus, you are under arrest for unlawful possession and use of a police vehicle.

Am I ? asks Terence.

No, just him, says Victor.

We were on our way back, says Camus. 

You weren't, says Victor. The police car was pointing in a northerly direction. That's evidence of your intention.

Terence thought he saw Roo-kai, says Camus.

Roo-kai is already at Saint Kilda, says Victor.

Yay! says Terence. Can we go now?

Yes, says Victor. The question is how?

Where's the police car? asks Camus.

Down the road. It rolled into a tree, says Victor. Lucky I spotted it. Now we're going to inspect the damage.

They walk down the road to the tree the police car rolled into.

Ouch! says Camus. 

Where are your shoes? asks Victor.

In the police car, says Camus. And I suppose I should admit that this is a police water bottle.

Sensible of you to have brought it, says Victor. I could do with a drink. I cycled all the way from Saint Kilda on Gaius's bicycle.

Camus hands him the police water bottle.

Ha ha! We all know what's going to happen.

Victor flips the top off. And sniffs.

Aw. Typical policeman. 

This smells like sea water, says Victor.

Oh yes, says Camus. It was to wash our feet so we didn't dirty the police car.

With mud, says Terence. And I had to wear blue rubber police gloves on my feet, and guess what happened ?

Victor sighs, foreseeing a mountain of paperwork.


No comments: