Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dusky Seaside Sparrow

Mum is still waiting. I am on my second National Geographic. Surely she'll be going in soon.

In the National Geographic is a story about the Dusky Seaside Sparrow, which became extinct in 1986. Poor Dusky Seaside Sparrows. They used to live on Merritt Island, Florida. They became extinct due to 'improvements'. You have to laugh. No, you don't. Their homes were flooded in an attempt to get rid of mosquitoes.

The last six Dusky Seaside Sparrows were sent to Disneyland. Now you have to laugh. But no, you don't. They were all males. After several years only one was left. His name was Orange Band. He was old for a sparrow and blind in one eye. There was a photo of him all stiff and manky at the top of the story. When he died a small voice made its way into the universe. I am zero, it said. So you see, no one has a right to laugh.

At last someone comes in to get my mum. Hoorah! Now there is no one sitting opposite me under the hollyhocks. I need a break from reading and looking at photos, so I have a good look at the print. I can only partly see the hollyhocks because the glass reflects the window behind my head, and the window is brighter than the hollyhocks behind the glass. I look at the reflection of the window.

Soon I'm so intrigued with this reflection that I take notepaper and a pen out of my handbag, and begin to draw......,

No comments: