Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Spotted Veil

No sooner had the story been published, than a second email arrived from Samuel Beckett. The VeloDrone and Belle et Bonne were about to read it when there came a knock at the door. Simone de Beauvoir swept in, wearing a perky black and white striped hat with a spotted veil.

Simone! cried Belle et Bonne. What a lovely hat! But yes, I have seen it before. You wore it on the cover of your novel Les Mandarins. And now you have added a veil.

It's to hide my broken tooth! exclaimed Simone de Beauvoir. Thanks to that dreadful man, she added. Then she remembered her manners.

Hello VeloDrone, hello Belle et Bonne, how nice it is to see you both again.

And it's lovely to see you too, dear Simone, said The VeloDrone. To what do we owe the honour?

Ahem, said Simone. I have just read Beckett's story in Velosophy.

That was quick, said The VeloDrone.

Indeed, said Simone. And I am outraged!

Outraged, but why? asked Belle et Bonne. Didn't you see that I was in it?

I did, Belle dear, and that part was lovely, but did you know that Samuel Beckett is the man who knocked me off my bicycle the other day? The stupid man was riding with a pair of crutches attached to his cross bar and pedalling with one foot!

But Simone, he wasn't even limping when he left our office!

That's Beckett for you, said Simone. I know him all too well. He was playing at being one of his characters, Molloy. Molloy rides a bicycle in just that fashion.

You mean to say, said The VeloDrone, that the story we published was not original? Good grief!

It must have been original papa, because we were in it, said Belle et Bonne. Let's see what his email says........oh no!

What? cried the VeloDrone.

That was only the first half of the story! Now he's sent us the other half. And oh dear....and you are in it, Simone!

I forbid you to publish it! thundered Simone, through the spotted veil.

No comments: