Sunday, October 17, 2010

Skirmish

From Pliny the Elder, greetings,

No I was not offended. But I am now.

Firstly, I am in no way enamoured of the type of pie known as the Lentil Pie. The fact that you think so merely confirms your low opinion of my culinary tastes. I think that I can safely say that I prefer almost any sort of pie to the Lentil. I took your advice yesterday and went to the shops. I bought a hamburger from MacDonalds and found it most delicious.

Secondly, it is nonsense to say that you are not interested in birds. I see among the holiday snaps on your Facebook page a photograph of an osprey nest, several geese, and a grey crane.
The osprey nest reminded me of something, being so high up above the ground. I have been checking my old notes. The parent ospreys make their young ones fly up to the sun, and those that fail to reach it are deemed unfit to live.

***********

Greetings, Pliny,

Sorry about the Lentil Pie. But MacDonalds doesn't sound much like you either.

That was very interesting about the ospreys, but I think your notes are out of date.

Yesterday we walked along Pimlico Road to Pimlico. It was very quiet. Sugarcanes, green grass, palms and silky oaks. A few houses, tractors, sheds. A place where you could play at Skirmish. Waterholes, geese, the sounds of plopping fish, or frogs. A squashed snake on the road.

In the afternoon we found ourselves at the top of Coolgardie Hill, about to walk down. We walked down. The view from the top, which was of the sea, canefields, the river, trees, the Pacific Highway and more trees, gradually just became a view of trees. It is like that here.

Today we are going to Wooli. You pronounce it Wool Eye. Is that not wonderful?

No comments: