Thursday, October 28, 2010

Waiting for Beckett

The VeloDrone was showing someone around the office. Belle et Bonne looked up.

And this is where it all happens, said the VeloDrone, pointing in her general direction.

Aha, said the stranger. Where what all happens?

Oh, said The VeloDrone, emails come in, emails go out, you know.

Papa! said Belle et Bonne.

Oh, hello my dear. Allow me to introduce you to my friend, Samuel Beckett. He has kindly agreed to write an article for Velosophy. This is my adopted daughter, Belle et Bonne.

Pleased to meet you Samuel, said Belle et Bonne. Are you THE Samuel Beckett?

I am indeed, said Samuel Beckett. And you must be THE Belle et Bonne.

Belle et Bonne giggled. Yes I am, she declared. And papa is THE VeloDrone. Also THE Voltaire, she added.

Oh said Samuel Beckett, turning to The VeloDrone. I didn't realise you were THE Voltaire. And do you ride THE bicycle?

Of course, said The VeloDrone. As do you.

Yes, said Samuel Beckett. I am a dedicated bicyclist. At least I was until I got this stiff leg.

Belle et Bonne looked at him sharply, but he did not appear to be making a lewd suggestion.

You have a stiff leg? she said. How unfortunate. Does that mean you can no longer ride a bicycle?

Au contraire, said Samuel Beckett, who was rather good at French. It simply means that I can only pedal with one foot.

Does not the stiff leg act as a sort of brake? asked Belle et Bonne.

Certainly not, said Samuel Beckett. But you are pre-empting my story. My article for Velosophy will explain in full what I do with my stiff leg when riding.

Oh good, said Belle et Bonne, looking sideways at her papa. I can't wait.

No comments: