Thursday, May 7, 2015

Alienation

Gaius, says Gaius

Gaius! says Vello. Still in Perth?

Esperance, says Gaius. We're heading back now.

Good, says Vello. David and I have a proposition for you. We know you like dinosaurs.

Fossils, says Gaius.

And birds, says Vello. Dinosaurs and birds. And you've been to China.

What are you getting at, Vello? asks Gaius.

David and I have realised that our fitness levels are not what they should be, says Vello.

Nor are mine for that matter, says Gaius.

Nonsense, says Vello. All that diving I hear you've been doing. Good for the legs and the lung capacity.

Gaius doesn't want to admit that he hasn't done that much diving.

Well yes, says Gaius. And so...?

Professor Xu Xing is coming over, says Vello. You know him.

I don't know him, says Gaius. I know Doctor Zhu Min.

He's from the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology in Beijing, says Vello. You went there.

It's a large building, says Gaius.

Yes, yes, says Vello. Well, I'll be blunt.  David and I need to practice our cycling, and we won't be here to entertain Professor Xu Xing. We wondered if you'd like to do it. If you come up with an interesting angle, of course you'd get paid when it's published.

What is his field, this professor? asks Gaius.

Dinosaurs with feathers, says Vello. I know, it sounds ridiculous. But he has discovered the remains of a dinosaur with wings and unusually long wrist bones....

No, no, says Gaius, not at all. Dinosaurs are believed to have evolved into birds. This is a wonderful discovery. I must meet him. I'll be home late tomorrow.

Good man, says Vello.

.......

Minutes later, Sweezus gets a phone call.

It's from Belle et Bonne.

Hi, says Belle . Where are you? I'm in Melbourne, where YOU should be.

Huh? says Sweezus.

Terence, says Belle et Bonne. He's gone missing.

He's with his grandpa, says Sweezus.

No he isn't, says Belle. And Marx blames himself.

I thought he bought him a hat, says Sweezus. With side flaps.

That was days ago, says Belle et Bonne. Marx is afraid that Terence has taken some of the lectures to heart.

Oh yeah, the Marxism conference, says Sweezus. But Terence wouldn't have a clue.

Wrong, says Belle et Bonne. He was very affected by the talk on alienation.

Well, what do you want me to do about it? asks Sweezus.

Belle becomes angry, and slams down the phone.

No comments: