Friday, May 29, 2015

Friendship And Best Tomato

Chris Froome; How's it going?

Richie Porte: My knee or the poem?

Chris Froome: Poem what poem?

Richie Porte: I told you.

Chris Froome: OH DE ODE!

Richie Porte: Very funny. But it's not all that easy.

Chris Froome: Gimme a look. Shit man, it's all crossings out.

Richie Porte: That's how you do it.

Chris Froome (reading): Spliced open revealing/ yellow grinning teeth. Hey, that's totally poetry.

Richie Porte: Thanks but one line's not a poem.

Chris Froome: Mate, one fuckin word can be a poem.

Richie Porte: Yeah? Example?

Chris Froome: Dunno. You're the poet. Hang on, what about this one? Tomatode?

Richie Porte: No good, Chris. I was thinking of something in the style of the Middle Tang poets.

Chris Froome: Wahay! That's classy. You mean like this one (reads): In China/ Middle Tang has/ best tomato.

Richie Porte: You're reading it upside down dickhead. It's: Best tomato/ has Middle Tang/ in China.

Chris Froome: Oh yeah, it's got a double meaning. You're good Richie.

Richie Porte: Thanks mate.

Chris Froome: Any time. Oh well, gotta go. Is there anything I can get you?

Richie Porte: I'd kill for a cro-nut.

........

Meanwhile on the other side of the world, in Willunga:

Gaius is sitting up.

Do you know where you are? asks Doctor Beverley.

Yes, says Gaius. I am in your surgery, in Willunga. My name is Gaius Plinius Secundus. I am a natural historian. I was at Maslin Bay with my geologist and paleontologist colleagues, my official recorder, and his young cousin, when I fell down the cliff face. What is that smell?

My lunch, says Doctor Beverley. It's good you have your sense of smell back. Now we must work out how you'll get home.

I shall cycle home with my colleagues, says Gaius.

I don't think so, says Doctor Beverley. You still need to rest. Ideally you should get a taxi. Would you like me to call one?

NO! says Gaius. Where are my colleagues?

Margaret and Professor Xu Xing are allowed into the surgery.

Professor Xu Xing looks concerned.

Feeling better? asks Margaret.

Yes thank you, says Gaius. But I'm not allowed to go home by bicycle.

Margaret brightens immediately. This means she can borrow his bike.

I'll phone Arthur, says Gaius. He'll organise something.

All right then, says Doctor Beverley. I'll leave you in the hands of your friends. Here is my bill. And I'll see you two at the dinner tomorrow.

Lovely, says Margaret.

They conduct Gaius out of the surgery and over the road to a park bench, where he can sit and call Arthur.

This might work out well. Arthur is already in the vicinity.



No comments: