Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cross Roads

Ring Ring!

Hello, says Arthur.

Arthur! says Gaius. I need you to do me a favour.

What? says Arthur. I'm just riding up Willy Hill.

You don't say? says Gaius. That is most convenient. I have received a concussion and need a ride home.

From where? says Arthur, as Sweezus pulls ahead of him, due to not having to be talking.

Willunga, says Gaius. That's why it's so convenient. I'm in a park off the main street opposite the doctor's surgery.

Okay, says Arthur. Sit tight. We'll be there shortly.

He continues to ride up the hill. Sweezus is thirty seconds ahead of him.

........

Margaret is pleased with the way things have turned out.

Gaius is out of the picture, and she has his bike to ride home with a dashing and erudite companion.

Margaret and Professor Xu Xing, the dashing and erudite companion, reach the turn off.

Margaret is about to turn right.

No, no, says Professor Xu Xing. We must go back to the coast and find the official recorder, and his cousin the soothsayer.

How annoying. What does he want to do that for?

All right, says Margaret. Let's go.

They head down towards Port Willunga, to look for Lavender and  Baby Pierre, who are right where they left them.

I knew you'd come back, cries Lavender. And look! Baby Pierre's done my picture!

Professor Xu Xing takes a look at the highly detailed picture of the turreted snail.

So talented, this little pebble!  So far sighted, his little cousin!

He hopes to persuade them to come back with him to China.

.........

At the top of Willunga Hill, Sweezus is waiting for Arthur.

What happened man? says Sweezus. I told you you should ditch those needles.

It wasn't the needles, says Arthur. Gaius is down the bottom. He wants a lift home.

Lift? says Sweezus. Hasn't he got his own bike?

Concussion, says Arthur.

Woah! says Sweezus. Let's head down there.

At the bottom, they find Gaius in the park, sitting waiting.

Where's the car? asks Gaius.

What car? says Arthur.

I've been told I must go home in a car, says Gaius. Because of the concussion. And do you have anything to eat on you? I'm feeling peckish.

What a bugger. Sweezus looks at Arthur. What now?

I know! says Arthur. Surfing-With-Whales's mother lives at Port Noarlunga. We should call Mrs Swales.

I'll do it, says Sweezus.

Ring Ring!

Hello, says Lauren Swales. What? Sweezus? Bob isn't here. Me? Oh... oh... yes I do... oh dear how awful... yes I'll come straight away and I'll bring some leftover pizza. Does he mind if it's cold?... no I thought not.....bye dear... so glad you called me.

Ah. How just awesomely lovely some people's mums are.


No comments: