Friday, May 15, 2015

Red Kisses And Poison Tomatoes

Sweezus, Arthur and Marx walk the length of the airport, eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

This one is awesome, says Sweezus. It's got custard inside.

As if to confirm this, a blob of custard drops onto the carpet.

A cleaner comes up behind Sweezus, with a trolley, a mop and a bucket.

She starts dabbing the custard.

Excuse me, madam, says Marx. May I ask how much you get paid for your efforts? Are you a member of a union? Do you experience a degree of alienation from your task?

The cleaner keeps wiping the floor.

I'm heaps sorry, says Sweezus to the cleaner. I dropped that blob of  custard.

Do you want it back? asks the cleaner.

How rude.

Sweezus and Marx walk quickly away to the exit.

Arthur stays.

I'll have it, says Arthur. The custard.

Don't be disgusting, says the cleaner. I'm calling security.

Not to eat, says Arthur. Just a memento.

Have it, says the cleaner, shoving the custardy cloth towards Arthur.

Thanks, says Arthur. And can I keep the cloth?

Sure, says the cleaner. I've got a whole bag of them in the back of the trolley. Get along now. Your friends will be gone.

Arthur shoves the cloth in his pocket. He really just wanted the cloth. A nice blue one.

In case you were wondering.

........

Gaius is home at last, in his own kitchen. He has invited Professor Xu Xing to tea.

I've been away a few days, says Gaius, but there's bound to be something to eat in the pantry.

Anything will be fine, says Professor Xu Xing politely. Do you have canned tomatoes?

Certainly not! says Gaius. Tomatoes are poison.

Good, good, says Professor Xu Xing. I don't like tomatoes. What about rice?

Rice. Yes I have rice, says Gaius. I'll get the water boiling.

Don't you have a rice cooker? asks Professor Xu Xing.

Rice cooker?  says Gaius. Modern luxuries are anathema to me.

So I see, says Professor Xu Xing, sitting down on the hard chair at the bare table, in front of the empty fruit bowl, feeling cold.

......

Baby Pierre too is back in the kitchen. He is saying hello to his friends at the window.

Baby Pierre! squeals Lavender. Where have you been?

He's been KISSING! says Ouvert. Who were you kissing?

No one, says Baby Pierre. I went deep sea diving, in Lucky Bay. I found a ruby sea dragon and sketched it, and now I'm employed as Gaius's official recorder.

Re-cor-doodoo! scoffs Ouvert, instantly jealous.

What's that red on your face? asks Lavender. Is it from kissing?

NO! says Baby Pierre.

........

Vello and David are having dinner at Hoosegow, a relatively new restaurant.

Vello: That worked out well. Gaius and Xu Xing are getting on famously.

David: Yes. Now we can start getting serious about our cycling regime.

Vello: Hm. What say we do Willy Hill in the morning?

David: Willy Hill it shall be. Perhaps I won't have dessert after this giant meat plate.

( they have ordered the meat plate for two: chilli chicken, lamb backstrap, pork ribs, eye fillet, chorizo, crushed chat potatoes, jalapeno aioli, tomato relish - $99.00 )

Vello: Good man. I won't either.

David: Gaius didn't look all that fit did he?

Vello: If he isn't, he won't make the team.

David: Who would we get then?

Vello: Plenty of others would be only too glad to be invited.....er....let me think.... Xu Xing looks quite fit.

David: And what about Marx? I believe he's back now from Melbourne.

Vello: Good lord! Marx? Far too ancient. And nosey. He'd always be stopping.

David: Ha ha. You're right. He would always be stopping.


No comments: