Monday, May 18, 2015

The Black Widow And The Philosopher

Gaius and Professor Xu Xing are in Gaius's shed.

This is Schopenhauer's bicycle, says Gaius, wheeling it out.

Viewed in the sunlight, Schopenhauer's bicycle supports Schopenhauer's view that existence was not meant to be happy.

The Ass Savers, the Knog lights and the San Marco saddle are dusty. The Schwelbe tyres need pumping. The wicker basket is covered in webs.

Easily fixed, says Gaius, grabbing a rag from the corner.

Let me, says Professor Xu Xing.

He takes the rag from Gaius, and starts flicking the dust off the saddle.

Hello! A female redback spider looks out.

.......

Schopenhauer's bicycle is oiled, pumped and ready. Professor Xu Xing has done a fine job.

Gaius is good to go. Backpack full of notebooks, mandarin oranges, and bottled tap water.

Baby Pierre has checked his O-rings. Packed his green pencil.

They are ready to roll.

But oh no!

Just as they are mounting their bicycles, Margaret appears, having heard from Katherine (who heard it from David) that Gaius is home.

Hello Gaius. Going out again so early? says Margaret.

Hello Margaret, says Gaius. Yes, Professor Xu Xing and I are just leaving.

Where for? asks Margaret.

No reason, says Gaius.

I meant for what destination? says Margaret. And who is the professor?

I do speak English, says Professor Xu Xing.

Excellent, says Margaret. I do speak a mattering of Chinese.

But it won't be necessary, says Gaius. Margaret, we must be going.

Are you from Beijing? asks Margaret, ignoring Gaius.

Yes, says Professor Xu Xing. I'm a paleontologist. My latest discovery was a dinosaur with feathers.

And where is Gaius taking you? asks Margaret.

Never mind, says Gaius.

To look for really, really old fossils, says Baby Pierre. I'm the recorder. We're going to Maslin Bay.

Then I shall come with you, says Margaret. It's my area. I'm a geologist. I'll take you through the Blanche Point Formation and show you the various Members of the middle and late Eocene period.

How wonderful, says Professor Xu Xing. Your presence will enhance our small party. Do you have your own bicycle?

Yes, says Margaret, but not here. Will you wait half an hour?

We can't, says Gaius. It's a long way and it gets dark early.

I'll catch up, says Margaret.

No need, dear lady, says Professor Xu Xing, who has failed to pick up on the undertone. Let me give you a ....a.....

A dinky? Oh, hee-hee, giggles Margaret. I couldn't.

No, she certainly couldn't, says Gaius,

Maybe I could, says Margaret. Why not? If there's a will, there's no need for a reason.

Why is Margaret quoting Schopenhauer (if somewhat loosely)?

Do his philosophies inhabit the air round his bicycle?

Margaret lifts her leg over the back wheel and sits down heavily on the Ass Saver.

Ow! That won't do. She hoists herself onto the saddle.

Professor Xu Xing must now stand-up pedal all the way to the Blanche Point Formation.

And Margaret is sitting dangerously close to the spider.

No comments: