Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Uphold The Right

Victor and Terence are on the beach at Saint Kilda.

At first they were walking. Now they are sitting.

Victor views the horizon, on which float several large tankers.

Ah, travel! says Victor. I've travelled a bit in my time.

Me too, says Terence. First upwards to the top of my palace. Then down. That was when I met Sweezus.

Is that so? says Victor. I first met Sweezus in Victor Harbour when I was posted there. He was in stolen shorts. Or so I thought. Turns out they were borrowed. Gaius was there too. He'd been arrested for possession of a penguin pie. Happy times.

Penguin pie. Terence would like to hear more of this story, but Victor keeps talking.

Soon after, I was posted to Wallaroo, says Victor. There was trouble with an illegal cuttlefish take. That was Sweezus as well, come to think of it.....

Terence feigns lack of interest. He picks up a handful of sand and trickles it.

But he's thinking: This is my future.

Victor continues his policing reminiscences.

Then I transferred to Victoria. I like it better here. Want to know why?

Why? says Terence. Is it the lane way graffiti? Grandpa likes them.

He would, says Victor. The old Communist. No, the reason I like it here is the Motto.

The Motto, says Terence. Is that a game?

No that's Lotto, says Victor. The Victoria Police motto is something a police officer can relate to. Our motto is Uphold the Right. What do think, eh?

Uphold the right what? says Terence.

Not the right anything, says Victor.

Terence doesn't think much of the motto, but he doesn't say so.

He thinks Victor is nice.


No comments: