Monday, May 25, 2015

Skin Deep

The Rock Fall Emergency Squad consists of two persons and two rolls of flags.

Having placed one set of flags at the top of the cliff
                                                   they head down the ramp
                                                            at the end of the car park
                                                                     to cordon off the rock fall at the bottom.

They have now reached the chunk of Hallet Cove Sandstone that Gaius dislodged.

There is blood on it.

Blood! says Harry.

Blimey! says Wills. Backup required!

Wait on, says Harry.

He has spied Gaius, Margaret and Professor Xu Xing, even though they are trying to look inconspicuous.

Harry makes his way over the rocks to the slippery shoreline.

Were any of you involved in the rock fall? asks Harry.

I was, says Gaius. No point denying it. I grazed my leg, but other than that, I am undamaged,

YOU may be undamaged, says Harry, looking pointedly at the cliff face.

I apologise, says Gaius. It won't happen again. I was looking for bryozoans and echinoids and may have been a little careless.

Wills comes over to join them.

Lost anything? says Wills.

Only some snacks, says Gaius. And Baby Pierre has recovered one. Here, try a mandarin segment.

If I know anything about anything, says Wills, that is part of an orange. And these here are mandarins. The skin's different.

He holds out three mandarins. The skin is quite different.

I knew it, says Margaret. Didn't I say so?

Gaius takes a closer look at the orange.

Jupiter's balls! How could he have been so mistaken?

Perhaps he has concussion.

Professor Xu Xing has a look. If anyone should be able to tell the age of an orange, it's a paleontologist.

Hm, says Professor Xu Xing. Away from the lab, I can't be certain, but the rind is quite dry and yellow. This is sign of old age in an orange.

Let's ditch the orange, says Margaret. Baby Pierre, go and drop it back in the cranny.

NO! says Wills. That area is out of bounds until further notice.

We'd better put up the flags, says Harry.

I think I may have concussion, says Gaius. (He feels funny).

Right! says Wills. Soon as the flags are up, I'll get you sorted. My wife Beverley is a doctor.

Wow? Is this a coincidence, or another freaking Beverley who lives in Willunga?


No comments: