Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Secret Life Of Bicycles

Belle has gone home, taking Terence.

Marx has returned to his hotel.

Sweezus and Arthur are in Sweezus's kitchen.

I wonder how Belle got in? says Sweezus.

Back door unlocked? suggests Arthur.

She'd have told me, says Sweezus. But woah! Better check on the bikes.

He goes into the laundry.

Phew! the bikes are still there.

We need to start planning our strategy, says Sweezus. First, who'll be in our team.

I'll call Pablo, says Arthur.

He tries, but can't contact Pablo, who is is hot on the heels of Benat Intxhausti near the summit of Campitello Matese, and can't answer his phone.

.........

Gaius and Professor Xu Xing have finished their dinner of boiled rice, and are drinking green tea, which is not the green tea Xu Xing had expected.

What is this? asks Professor Xu Xing.

Parsley, says Gaius. What do you think of it?

It has healthful properties, says Professor Xu Xing.

Indeed, says Gaius. And to think the Greeks use it for decorating the tombs of the deceased.

It is good to be pious, says Professor Xu Xing.

It is foolish, says Gaius. Are you pious?

Not at all, says Professor Xu Xing.

The conversation turns to more agreeable subjects.

How would you like to go cycling tomorrow? asks Gaius.

I would enjoy it, says Professor Xu Xing. Perhaps we could look at some of your local scenery.

Yes, yes, says Gaius, and kill two birds with one stone. I need to get fit for the Tour. Vello and David are already practising.

Do you have a spare bicycle? asks Professor Xu Xing. Or should I hire one?

I have Schopenhauer's old bike in the shed, says Gaius. It may be covered in spiders.

That will suit me, says Professor Xu Xing. And will Baby Pierre come?

It hadn't occurred to me, says Gaius, but yes, I shall ask him.

Gaius goes across to the window sill where Baby Pierre is in need of a rescue.

This is because he has let slip to Lavender how he fell in love with Brianna. Then made things worse by describing her beautiful drill hole.

Baby Pierre, says Gaius, how would you like to join me and Professor Xu Xing on a bike ride at first light tomorrow?

Yippee! says Baby Pierre. I'll just check my O-rings.

O-rings! says Lavender. More holes. It's an obsession!

Prrp! You can talk, Lavender, says Ouvert. You're an air hole.

Prrp yourself, Ouvert, says Lavender. You've got a face full of rude ones!  But I won't be talking to Baby Pierre EVER again.

Baby Pierre goes off to check his O-rings, already glad to be leaving his dumb bumpkin cousins.


No comments: