Sunday, October 8, 2017

Can't Found It

How did he do it? asks Saint Roley.

Do what? says Belle.

Teach the baby bristlebird to fly, says Saint Roley.

We never knew, says Belle. Arthur took him out of the office for a few minutes, and when they came back the baby could fly.

Threw him down the stairs, says Gaius.

I wasn't going to say, says Belle. But yes. We suspected that Arthur threw the bird down the stairs. Like when you teach someone swimming by throwing them in at the deep end.

Saint Roley is overloaded with cruel information.

Have a salted caramel, says Belle. Arthur's not here, anyway. We were just saying.

Saint Roley takes a salted caramel in his beak, and swallows it down.

.......

Jeanne Jugan pedals fast. She wants to catch up with the rest of the mission.

Terence and Baldy jiggle about in the basket, which is covered in webs.

Where are the spiders? asks Baldy.

Not yet founded! shouts Terence.

They collapse into sniggers.

Where are the spiders? shrieks Terence.

NOT YET FOUNDED! yells Baldy. Hee-hee!

Hee-hee, laughs Terence

It's even funnier the second time.

But not to Jeanne Jugan.

Don't mock, says Jeanne Jugan. When I spoke of a work not yet founded, I was speaking of my life's work.

Why did you lose it? asks Terence.

Founding is not finding, says Jeanne Jugan.

You can't found your spiders! yells Baldy, who is not into fine points of grammar.

She can't found her work, says Terence. Weren't you listening?

Thank you, Terence, says Jeanne Jugan. I see you are interested in my story, even if Baldy is not.

Sweezus lost his work once, says Terence. He swore. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

I'm sure you are not allowed to say that, says Jeanne Jugan. And I didn't lose it, I began it. I founded The Little Sisters. It was the reason I never got married, although I was asked.

She lapses into a reverie. Six years apart. The dear man. He asked her twice.

No comments: