Friday, October 13, 2017

You To Thank For My Life

What plan has Saint Roley come up with, inspired by the sight of a dolphin?

Let's see.

He dives from his perch, into the dark rising waters.

If a dolphin can swim, why not he?

He turns, and kicks his way up to the surface, emerging at the crack, which is fast disappearing.

One more dolphin-like kick (as he imagines) and he is floating out on the ocean, below the old bush.

From which dangle two cheeses.

He gives thanks to the dolphin. He gives thanks to the ocean. He gives thanks to the bush and the makers of cheese.

.......

Gaius looks at the menu. What will he have?

How about a salade de tomates à l'ancienne? says Jeanne Jugan.

Madam, says Gaius. It is well known that tomatoes are poison.

Not by me, says Jeanne Jugan. I like tomatoes. But you must please yourself.

How about melon et lard fumé? asks Belle.

Gaius orders melon et lard fumé.

Belle orders bulots mayonnaise.

Terence and Baldy are up at the counter with their handfuls of grouins.

Oui, mes enfants? says Michel.

How many red drinks can we get with these? asks Terence.

We have no red drinks for children, says Michel. Red drinks make children hyperactive. You can have jus d'orange or jus de pomme.

This is a rubbish restaurant, says Terence.

Yes, says Baldy.

How about red pudding? asks Michel.

.......

Saint Roley is tiring of swimming.

He has swum round and round.

He can not quite reach the cheeses.

Squelch-suck-squelch-suck. Is the tide turning?

No. It's that dolphin again.

In trouble are we? asks the dolphin.

Au contraire, says Saint Roley. I have you to thank for my life. The fact that I can't reach the cheeses hardly constitutes trouble.

Me? says the dolphin. For your life?

....

It's a red pudding, says Terence.

I see that, says Belle. Let me smell it.

She sniffs the red pudding.

It smells like apple and rhubarb. Okay.

.....

I could reach them, says the dolphin. I'd have to leap up. What are they good for?

Fake eggs, says Saint Roley. Long story.

Tell it, says the dolphin. I've got all day.

No comments: