Sunday, October 22, 2017

Otter And Monkey

Right, says Belle. Arthur, go to the chemist.

What am I getting? says Arthur.

Sticking plasters, says Belle. And Gaius wants a specimen jar. Take Terence with you.

I might have concussion, says Arthur.

Belle isn't listening. She is looking around for a hat.

.....

Arthur has found a chemist. It was not far away.

He enters the Pharmacie Ceus Menard, on Rue Bellevue, with Terence.

Arthur looks down at Terence.

What are we here for? asks Arthur.

Can I help you? asks the pharmacist. I see you are bleeding. And the child also. Over there are the pansements.

She indicates a shelf full of dressings.

That's it, says Arthur. And a specimen jar.

The pharmacist goes behind the counter to look for a specimen jar.

It's for my beetle, says Terence. It spewed.

Dear me, says the pharmacist.

And coughed, says Terence. And bit me.

So I see, says the pharmacist. Shall I take your blood pressure?

She hands him a jar with a yellow lid.

YES! says Terence. And Arthur's. He fell down the stairs.

He seems all right, says the pharmacist.

Arthur stares absently at the sticking plasters. What are they for?

Tricosteril Extensible or Multi-usages. Or what about these?

Resistant to water. Micro aéré. Hypo allergénique. Les Bozanimos. Fourteen pansements.

Each plaster is decorated with one jungle animal. A leopard, a crocodile, a monkey, a turtle, an otter.

Arthur picks these.

......

Arthur and Terence return to the hotel room, with the Bozanimos and the specimen jar .

Belle is waiting.

Why didn't you come? asks Arthur. You could have paid. Now you'll have to go there.

Look at this! says Terence. It's an otter!

Sorry, says Belle. Did you get them?

Yes, says Arthur. You owe the pharmacist 4 euros.

Not you? says Belle.

Not me, says Arthur.

There's a knock on the door.

......

It's Sweezus and Sartre.

Now Arthur knows why Belle made him go to the chemist. She wanted to be there to meet them.

Guess what! cries Terence, throwing himself at Sweezus.

What, little dude? asks Sweezus, lifting him up.

I've got a beetle, says Terence, but it's in a hat, this is its jar, and I've got an otter plaster over my bite because it bit me.

Cool, says Sweezus. Looks like it also bit Arthur.

No, says Arthur. I fell off the bed up on the mezzanine and .....

Busted open your knees, dude, says Sweezus. Give me that box. Sit down. Wicked bandaids! Leopard or monkey?

Otters, says Arthur.

There's only one otter, says Sweezus.

Otter and monkey, says Arthur.

He lies back in a chair and lets his best friend in the world deal with his problems.


No comments: