Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Not What Has Happened

I'll go, says Ostelle.

She stalks down to the edge of the water, where Saint Roley is wading.

Hi-hi, says Ostelle (she thinks it sounds cooler).

Hi, says Saint Roley. OH! HI!

What? says Ostelle.

Nothing, says Saint Roley. I was just taken aback, that's all.

Don't take this the wrong way, says Ostelle.

I wasn't, says Saint Roley.

I haven't said it, says Ostelle. It's a warning.

Snap, says Saint Roley. I'm here to give you a warning. You go first.

You might like to move those eggs you put down in that scrape there, says Ostelle.

Look again, says Saint Roley.

I'm looking, says Ostelle.

Go nearer, says Saint Roley.

Ostelle goes nearer. Hi-hi! Two little wet cheeses with teeth marks.

What's the point of the cheeses? says Ostelle.

The cheeses are here as a warning. Watch what happens, says Saint Roley.

YOU watch what happens, says Ostelle.

Saint Roley and Ostelle stare hard at the cheeses.

Nothing happens.

........

Back on the mainland Jeanne Jugan has fetched her binoculars from a frayed black bag attached to the frame of her bicycle.

She hands them to Gaius.

Gaius fiddles to get them in focus.

Drat! says Gaius. I can't see anything clearly.

Let me! says Jeanne Jugan. Oh, they're all smeary. I'll get a soft cloth.

Can I hold them? asks Terence.

And me? says Baldy.

After me, says Terence.

Terence points the binoculars towards the Ile des Landes, and looks through them.

I can see Saint Roley! says Terence. He's telling another parrot.

Telling what? asks Baldy.

Give them to me, says Belle. I'm sure you can't see anything.

She looks through the smeary binoculars. There's six of them, says Belle. No, make that a dozen!

This is wonderful! says Gaius.

Jeane Jugan comes back with the soft cloth and wipes both lenses. Gaius tries them again.

They appear to be fighting! says Gaius. This is not what I expected of Saint Roley.

Let me see! cries Terence.

Gaius hands him the binoculars.

BLOOD! cries Terence. Everyone's dying!

But in fact, dozens of parrots fighting to the death is not what has happened.

They are just really cheap binoculars.


No comments: