Friday, October 27, 2017

The Wisdom Of Inaction

Below the Pointe de Groiun, Arthur is asleep in the cave.

Or: unconscious, in the grotto.

He stirs, and murmurs: For a long time.......

A voice answers: I have dwelt here, under vast porticoes, that the seaside suns tint....

Arthur awakens (perhaps).

Seaside suns!

All right, ocean sunsets.

But Arthur is awake now.

Outside the cave, a motor boat is slowing. Putt-putt-brummm---burrr.

A splashing occurs, and a bird squawk. Saint Roley is being transferred.

Sweezus appears under the vast portico. Tinted by the bright seaside sun not yet setting.

Arthur stands up, and feels ......perfectly normal.

Hey! shouts Arthur. I'm here.

You dick head! answers Sweezus. You could've drowned.

No, I couldn't, says Arthur. I was in here. I dreamed of a former life. But it was someone else's.

Yeah, right, says Sweezus. I rescued Saint Roley. And got a lift back with the coast guard. They're still looking for you.

Let's see, says Arthur. He sticks his head out of the cave. The coast guard patrol boat is zigzagging purposefully about on the water.

Arthur is gratified.

Make yourself useful, dude. Hold the parrot, says Sweezus.

Okay, says Arthur, taking the bird.

I'm not really a parrot, says Saint Roley.

I'm not really a bird lover, says Sweezus.

Me either, says Arthur. He needs to learn how to fly.

I know, says Saint Roley. You were meant to teach me. But you didn't come.

He feels safe saying this, at the base of the cliff face.

I'm not doing it now, says Arthur. I've only just come good again.

You good again? says Sweezus. Awesome. Let's get up there, and get rid of the bird.

They start up the steep path to where Gaius, Jeanne Jugan, Terence, Baldy and the blood spitting Scarabée are waiting.

Talking, on the way:

Former life, huh? says Sweezus. Whose was it?

Baudelaire, says Arthur. My poetry hero. He wrote Les Fleurs du mal.

Flowers of bad, says Sweezus. Wicked title.

Saint Roley! cries Terence, leaning dangerously over the edge of the Pointe de Grouin.

Arthur! cries Gaius. You survived!

Nothing to it, says Arthur, dropping Saint Roley on the ground beside Terence.

And you recovered Saint Roley, says Gaius. Good man.

And now I've got to teach him to fly, says Arthur.

Not yet, says Gaius. First things first. A debriefing. What happened, Saint Roley?

Saint Roley walks away from the dangerous edge to face his team leader, and says:

At first I thought it would be easy. They seemed to understand. Even told me where I could safely put down the cheeses. But knowing the problem doesn't solve it. They're programmed to repeat the same actions. I considered the dilemma. and came up with a solution, involving role play.....

Goodness! says Gaius. You have exceeded all expectations. Well done.

Sweezus considers saying: Yeah, but it all went cactus just before he was leaving.

And, wisely, chooses not to.

No comments: