Monday, October 9, 2017

Weak-Weak!

Hotel Restaurant de la Pointe de Grouin.

Gaius, Belle and Saint Roley arrive at the car park.

Coffee? says Belle.

No, let us push on to the end of the trail, says Gaius. It's not far.

All right, says Belle. Saint Roley, we're almost there. Are you excited?

No, says Saint Roley. My stomach is churning, but I'm not excited.

Worried about flying? says Belle. I'm sure it's quite easy.

I should get some practice, says Saint Roley.

An excellent idea, says Gaius. Start by flying out of my basket.

Saint Roley has been sitting in Gaius's basket, with the salted caramels. The basket is deep.

He can't just fly out of the basket, says Belle. He needs a leg up.

Gaius places a hand under the soft feathery bottom of Saint Roley, and lifts him onto the rim of the basket.

Stay still, says Belle. Get your bearings.

Saint Roley looks around at the view.

There is a path leading out to the Pointe de Grouin. Beyond it, the ocean. Not far off, the Ile des Landes, where his mission lies. Further out to sea, the Herpin Lighthouse. Beyond that, the Iles de Chausey.

Great cormorants fly menacingly above him.

Weak-weak! cry the great cormorants.

It's not their usual cry. More like a comment.

Go! says Gaius.

Saint Roley teeters.

He isn't ready.

Hey! cries Terence. We're here!

Belle and Gaius turn at the same moment, to see Jeanne Jugan, screeching to a halt on her rattly bicycle, and Terence and Baldy, covered in webs, shouting from her dirty basket.

Crikey! says Belle. Why have you got Terence and Baldy? Who are you?

Jeanne Jugan, pants Jeanne Jugan.

Saint Jeanne Jugan! says Belle. I thought I recognised you. You look whacked. Have a caramel.

Thank you, dear, says Jeane Jugan. I have ridden like the clappers to get here in time. Méen and Maclou are my friends. I've brought the children.

Why? asks Gaius.

Well.... says Jeanne Jugan. They are your charges, and Saint Roley is their bird. I wish to assist in the mission. I like to feel useful.

You're very welcome, says Belle. Do you know much about birds? Saint Roley is trying to pluck up some courage.

I know all about courage, says Jeanne Jugan. I was....

She was a witch, says Terence.

She knows spells, says Baldy.

Saint Roley calms down. A spell would be helpful.