Sunday, April 29, 2018

I Am My Own Bird

There is a soft knock on the door.

It's Saint Roley.

Mariposa opens.

I saw you and your family return, says Saint Roley. And there was also a parrot.

Yes, says Mariposa. Come in. It's a very smart parrot. It learns mathematics.

That is remarkable, says Saint Roley.

Perhaps Terence will no longer need you, says Mariposa. You'll be set free.

I don't belong to Terence, says Saint Roley. I am my own bird.

Mariposa leads him into the grand salon.

Terence, here is your bird, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

He is his own bird, says Mariposa.

I am, says Saint Roley, and as such I have a bone to pick with Terence.

Is that an expression? asks Cherry.

(See how quickly electronic parrots pick things up).

Yes, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

Saint Roley takes Terence aside.

The pigeon died, says Saint Roley. I stayed with it until the end.

That was good manners, says Terence. What pigeon?

The one you fell on, says Saint Roley.

Did it say that? asks Terence.

It didn't need to, says Saint Roley. I saw you.

Did it say anything? asks Terence.

Carrot, says Saint Roley.

Lucky the others aren't listening. They might have laughed. Not realising the pathos.

Pedro Vicente Maldonado is further explaining the search for largest prime number.

It is called the GIMPS, says Pedro Vicente Madonado.

GIMPS, says Cherry. Is that....?

It's an acronym, says Pescado.

Correct, well done son, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

Another knock at the door.

Mariposa opens.

It's Gaius.

I hope I'm not too early, says Gaius.

Are you the caterer? asks Mariposa.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. You're having a caterer?

We're having some science people for dinner, says Mariposa. The little cement one is already here. We like him. He has been given an electronic parrot by my father. The parrot learns mathematics, expressions and acronyms. It's very smart.

So Terence is here, says Gaius. And he has a new parrot. That is good news. What about Arthur?

Is Arthur a black and white shorebird? asks Mariposa.

No, that will be Saint Roley. And I am Gaius Plinius Secundus, one of your guests.

Come in then, says Mariposa.

I have met your grandmother, says Gaius. She told me you and your brother keep frogs.

O yes! says Mariposa. Would you like to see them? They're going to have babies.

I would indeed, says Gaius. At what stage are the babies?

Out of the cloaca and into the pouch, says Mariposa. Not yet tadpoles.

Fascinating, says Gaius. I see you are an expert. But perhaps I should see your father first.

Okay, says Mariposa.

She thinks Gaius is nice.

1 comment:

maddox pax said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.